Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Not my car, yada, yada, yada. Not sure what they spent $46,500 on.

Dave

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Apparently we were all thinking the same thing. Looks decent enough but I can’t imagine where $46,000 went

Reactions: autobroker

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
I know where it went...into someone's bank account. LOL, Everything must have been rebuilt, polished, and a top-notch paint job. Even then I would like to see the receipts for the work.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
It's easy to spend $46K if you have to farm everything out.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I can't believe someone spent $46K on that AND LEFT THOSE AWFUL DOOR/FENDER PROTECTION STRIPS ON THERE! Otherwise looks pretty nice. Dash edge looks a little weird (dash cap maybe) but could just be the photo.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Agree on the rubber strips. Also, lose the ugly USA side markers.

·
Registered
1977 Spider 49-State
164 Posts
Very easy to spend 45k if the owner doesn't turn wrenches.

Roughing it here but:

15k paint and rust
10k engine rebuild
5k tranny rebuild
15k rest of mechanicals/Interior

Rates vary of course from shop-to-shop along with quality of work.

Market isn't too kind yet to money being thrown at S2 Spiders, unless it is truly something special. There was a listing on BaT last Fall with 36k+ spent on it. Only got bid to $13,150.

Maybe not be the best example, though as looked like the owner will still have oil pressure issues.

$30k for an S2 is tough because:

-It's not a 1750
-It's not an all-original 1-owner car
-Lots of alternative options for spending 30k on a classic car (but who knows for how much longer with the way prices are going....)
-Most S2 owners are cheapos that like doing the work themselves. 😁

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Very easy to spend 45k if the owner doesn't turn wrenches.

Roughing it here but:

15k paint and rust
10k engine rebuild
5k tranny rebuild
15k rest of mechanicals/Interior

Rates vary of course from shop-to-shop along with quality of work.

Market isn't too kind yet to money being thrown at S2 Spiders, unless it is truly something special. There was a listing on BaT last Fall with 36k+ spent on it. Only got bid to $13,150.

Maybe not be the best example, though as looked like the owner will still have oil pressure issues.

$30k for an S2 is tough because:

-It's not a 1750
-It's not an all-original 1-owner car
-Lots of alternative options for spending 30k on a classic car (but who knows for how much longer with the way prices are going....)
-Most S2 owners are cheapos that like doing the work themselves. 😁
You're out of touch. The last two S2's on BaT sold for $32.5K and $34.5K:
1972 Alfa Romeo Spider for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for $32,500 on March 8, 2021 (Lot #44,169) | Bring a Trailer
1973 Alfa Romeo Spider for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for $34,500 on February 26, 2021 (Lot #43,783) | Bring a Trailer

·
Registered
1977 Spider 49-State
164 Posts

That 1972 is a dammmnn nice car. Not sure if it's a good comp. The 1973 looks clean with a 1-owner for 45 years. Condition might be similar to the San Diego car? It also has original SPICA.

BaT also seems to bring better prices. Also, not sure if there is a small bump in value for 1972 and 1973 vs 1974?

Not saying that S2s are totally worthless. Just saying that the story with the car plays a huge part of S2 value. Just on gut-instinct first-reaction alone (but still being open-minded of course), that San Diego car does not look like a 30k car. But again, don't know what was done to the car.

Believe me, I hope S2s go through the roof, so I'm a cheerleader. Probably still in denial with values as well.

·
Registered
790 Posts
46k n crusty nuts, lol,
Sure recipts will add up
Doesnt really matter what the Alfa, its still the same cost to redo them whether a 80's spider or a 60's GTV

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
The drivers side door doesn't seem to fit right. The gap at the bottom (between the rocker) is funny and the fit doesn't look good. I'm wondering what this car looks like in real life.

And yes, $46K goes pretty fast when you're trying for perfection. Depending on the body condition and the quality of work done. Also, we don't know how extensive the repairs were and who did them.

I prefer a 1971 with the 1750, Klippan belts, tighter fitting bumpers, steel wheels and a few small differences. However a well sorted 2.0 is good too and I have no trouble purchasing one - 1974 and older. If I had to choose between a 1972, 73 or 74, I'd choose the 72. The 72 has tighter fitting bumpers and steelies with hub caps.

·
Registered
1977 Spider 49-State
164 Posts
The drivers side door doesn't seem to fit right. The gap at the bottom (between the rocker) is funny and the fit doesn't look good. I'm wondering what this car looks like in real life.

And yes, $46K goes pretty fast when you're trying for perfection. Depending on the body condition and the quality of work done. Also, we don't know how extensive the repairs were and who did them.

I prefer a 1971 with the 1750, Klippan belts, tighter fitting bumpers, steel wheels and a few small differences. However a well sorted 2.0 is good too and I have no trouble purchasing one - 1974 and older. If I had to choose between a 1972, 73 or 74, I'd choose the 72. The 72 has tighter fitting bumpers and steelies with hub caps.

Ha, they almost always seem to look better in pics....

·
Registered
74 Spider 78 Spider 84 Spider
786 Posts
part are cheap. labor is not. $46k in not unreasonable for the work done. How many hours have y'all spent working on your cars? Multiply that by the labor rate at most auto shops or dealer service centers. No one is gonna fix your car for free except yourself.

The cost of work done on an object has nothing to do with the actual market value of said object.

But for $46k I kinda expect a cleaner looking engine and doesn't look like they even painted the engine bay. The devil is in the details...would like to see under the car...

·
Registered
309 Posts
A fool and his money are soon parted. I have a '75 Spider I bought about 17 years thinking that when AR came back to the USA I'd sell it for some profit. It's a nice 15 footer and I doubt I could sell it for more than I paid for it, headers, Dells and all.

Reactions: autobroker
1 - 17 of 17 Posts