Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a beautiful '74 Spider - the only problem is the fan switch was apparently not working and the previous owner pulled every single wire/bulb out of the center console! I have searched everywhere on the web for a wiring diagram as I got nothing with the car. I was thrilled to see all the diagrams here but nothing for a '74 Spider. Is there a hero out there?!

Another simple question; I hope. How is the headlight control supposed to work? Mine appears to do this but I may have fuse/bulb problems:

1) I can rotate the knob to 3 positions. 2 of the positions do nothing, the last turns the lights on.
2) When the above switch is in the 2 positions that do nothing, I can push the knob in toward the steering console and the lights come on as I keep holding it in. These appear to still be the low lights.
3) When the lights are in the 3rd position where they stay on, I can move the control down and it appears that the right light goes to high beam but the left goes out completely.

Am I on the right track (minus a fuse or blub) or is this just random. It does seem that it does not always work as above but i have only been playing with the car for a day.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Alright, another Alfa in the LBC! :) Welcome to AlfaBB and to Alfa ownership BM! 1974 Spiders are among the most sought after.

This headlight switch dilemma sounds familiar from my Spider days.

1) I seem to recall a total of 3 positions on that stalk switch, off, parking lights and finally headlights.

2) I believe the headlights will come on when the stick is pushed in while in the off position and parking lights position. So you can flash at those slow suckers in the fast lane and get them the hell outta the way.

3) Pulling the stick down while the headlights are on should turn on the high beams. You probably have a partially blown bulb. You can pick up replacement 7" sealed beam headlights at any parts store. I picked up a set of H4 Hella bulbs which are much brighter, yet not blinding to oncoming traffic.

Post some pictures of her in the gallery!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Kai is right on the headlights and the stalk function. On your heater switch if you have the black toggle switch w/ three positions for your heater fan and a similar wiper toggle switch, 78 diagram on this board will apply.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/docs/1978 SpiderSchematic.pdf

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
My guess is a bulb problem. When I got my spider, believe it or not, the headlights looked like originals and were pretty darn dim. A fresh set of sealed beams fixed it right up. For the low beams, you might have to chase the current with a voltmeter to see where the problem is. Wiring on a Spider isn't like a B-52 . . . it's really pretty simple, but as with all cars that age, it's probably due for a general cleaning and tightening of all the connections you can get to.

I also have a '74 Spider with an owner's manual. Alfa manuals are very detailed on operation and maintenance. It also has wiring diagrams. If you'd like me to make you a copy I will, if you'll spring for the nickle a page of whatever Officemax charges for copies these day and the postage. The manual is about 120 half-sized pages which would make for about 70 8x10" copies, including the wiring diagram foldouts. PM me your address if you want the copies and I'll try to make them today while I'm downtown.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Hey Greg:

The center console in your 74 is identical to mine in my 78. Is every thing disconnected? You got some work cut out for you if thats the case. My advice to you is to remove the center console top and find all the wires. With parking lights on and ignition off you should see three bulbs on in the center console. One is for the illumination above the heater/defrost control levers. The other two illuminate the little orange square def and wiper location indicators. Above the radio the green light should be on. When you turn the ignition key to the on position another light will illuminate and then go off after about 5 secs. That bulb goes to the brake indicator above the shifter. Another way to illuminate that light is to pull one of the two pairs of the red and black wires off the brake master tank and touch them together. In the upper dash above the radio, there are four lights. The green illuminates w/ parking lights. The blue w/ bright lights. The left red w/ low fuel pressure. The right red w/ low oil pressure. On the heater switch trace them back to the heater fan assembly beneath the center bottom of the dash behind the center console. I don't remember the colors for sure. I believe a couple of yellows and a black. Heater and wiper switches have low and high speed. You should also have a reostat that adjusts the intensity of the center console lights and its located on the center console between the heater and wiper switches. I hope this helps some and gets you started. If you get hung up, drop a line.

Best Regards,
John M

1 - 5 of 5 Posts