Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm stymied trying to get my heater fan switch to work. I've followed the various wiring diagrams, and fortunately, my harness appears to be stock and the appropriate wires for this switch are bundled properly. No fuse problems, tried both old and new switches (mind you the old switch worked fine before I pulled the console apart) and nothing. the problem as I see it is that I think I'm just not connecting the wires in the proper location on the switch...can anyone tell me what color should go to what jumper number on the switch? My switch has tabs for wires at numbers 1, 4, 6, 7 and 8. I have tried several combinations, but haven't gotten it to work. Please, if someone could pull their switch and give me the sequence, perhaps I can get this to work. I need to use this car (it normally is used only in spring and summer) as my regular daily driver is in the shop, and without heat, its not all that comfortable. Any help would be appreciated! I can't find this info anywhere! Chris

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Welcome, Chris.

The diagram I have says;
terminal #1 - one yellow wire
terminal #4 - two yellow/black wires
terminal #6 - two red wires
terminal #8 - two black wires

If you send me your email address in a private message, I'll send you a color wiring diagram.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome, Chris.

The diagram I have says;
terminal #1 - one yellow wire
terminal #4 - two yellow/black wires
terminal #6 - two red wires
terminal #8 - two black wires

If you send me your email address in a private message, I'll send you a color wiring diagram.
Great, thanks. I'll let you know the results. The colors certainly match to what I have bundled in the harness for this switch, so I should think it should work.

Chris
[email protected]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Almost there

Well, Papajam...your connection guideline worked, but I only have a single speed on the fan. For some reason, I don't have low and high. I installed the brand new switch so I suspect that it isn't a fault within the unit, but could be something more sinister or difficult to discover. Anyone have any thoughts?

Chris

PS...keep in mind, with the wiring Papajam suggested, there is a lonely tab (number 7) that isn't wired...could this potentially require a jumper in order to provide the second speed? I think I am only getting the higher speed on the fan, so low appears to be missing at the moment.

·
Premium Member
14,786 Posts
Connect 12v to one heater connector at a time. If the fan runs at 2 different speeds, then you know it is OK. Then connect a voltmeter to each of the two wires that go to the fan and see if one goes to 12v when the switch is in high and the other goes to 12v when the switch is at low. You should be able to see then where the problem lies.
Ed Prytherch

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
May I suggest try reversing the two wires/terminals at the bases of the fan motor/heater box. With these cars there is another caution, if the fan only works in one position of the switch, make sure when the fan is not running, that the switch is in the off position; it is possible that when the the fan works in only one postion of the three position switch, when the switch is in the other position that would normally be the second speed, yet the fan isn't turning, the fan is recieving current and the motor will melt, it happen to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I certainly appreciate all the input!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the off position when the switch is in the middle of its toggle movement...meaning toggle up is one speed, toggle all the way down is the other, and if left centered, off...

As for the photo of the switch that you have provided, that's exactly how mine is presently wired. I will try the recommended test procedures to try and source the missing low speed, and will certainly be wary of the risk to frying the motor...now if someone can straighten me out on the issue of exactly what position the toggle should be in in order to be assured that it is off! Keep in mind, I've wired it as in the photo to this post.

Thanks again...at least I have heat blowing on my feet at one speed for the remainder of the cold weather here!

Chris

·
Registered
79 Posts
Does anybody know...from the fan itself, there is a blue wire, and a red wire (plus a black ground)...which goes to the Yellow, and to Yellow/Black Stripe? I am puzzled by this great mystery!
Thanks!
"Farklevill"

·
Registered
246 Posts
(mind you the old switch worked fine before I pulled the console apart)
This may be a long shot. But did you connect both of the grounds to the ground stud when you replaced the console? Additionally did you connect both of the connections to the fan blower motor (I had to unhook those connections when I removed my console)?

I think that the key is somewhere in the above statement. Something changed when you put things together. I am sure that you already know this……

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm sorry...I interrupted the thread! I'm just hooking things back up after having replaced the heater fan. Papajam sent me the wiring diagram, which shows everything from the yellow and yellow/black wires...what I have forgotten, is which wire from the fan (blue or red) attach to the yellow, etc wires at the little block, where you have the 50/50 choice...red to yellow, or red to yellow/black, and then blue to the other...'74 spider (Giallo!)
Thanks

·
Registered
867 Posts
Does anybody know...from the fan itself, there is a blue wire, and a red wire (plus a black ground)...which goes to the Yellow, and to Yellow/Black Stripe? I am puzzled by this great mystery!
Thanks!
"Farklevill"
The Blue/black wire from the fan motor goes to the yellow/black wire that goes to #4 on the switch and then to the Heat Light in the speedo. The red wire from the fan goes to the yellow wire straight to the switch #1.

Look at the picture below, disconnect both yellow wires from the fan unit. Connect +12V to each wire one at a time and see if the motor turns on high and low, if this works then your problem is somewhere near the switch.

Also trace the black earth wire #6 from the switch it goes to the DEF LIGHT and then to the WIPE LIGHT and then earth's somewhere on the chassis.

Good luck.

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Rich-
Thank you! My quandary is...should I try this now (nearly midnight, risking waking my "bride" of 30+ years), or just call in sick tomorrow morning...this can't wait until Saturday! Wait...my Alfa speaks to me now...any true Alfista will attend to the car immediately, even, and of course, interrupting moments of marital intimacy!
Thanks again...I will report back...
Scott
aka "farklevill"

·
Registered
867 Posts
LOL:D, good one Scott.
That depends, if you want to freeze your *** driving to work or not. Hmmmm, if i was you I would go to bed and then take the day off work. But in my case here in Oz the weather is much warmer even in winter, I usually stay in the garage till about 2-3AM, dog sleeping, wife trying to sleep and my baby girl (three weeks old now) wide awake:eek:.

Rich

1 - 15 of 15 Posts