Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!
After installing a newly rebuilt Spica Pump from Wes Ingram, my 74 Alfa is purring like a kitten.
Now on to the next problem!
For at least the last 10 years, the spider has cranked notoriously slowly.
This weekend, in my debug efforts, I added another ground from the engine to the body, and it dramatically increased the cranking speed.
So a couple questions :
1) Aside from the usual culprits : braided ground and battery contact to body (which I diligently verified) what else should I check as a possible culprit?
2) Given that an extra ground has made things better, would it be crazy to just attach the "extra" ground wire from the engine to the frame in a permanent manner? Has anyone already done this? If so, where did you attach it?

Thanks so much
Franco Forlini
74 Spider
65 Fiat 500

·
Super Moderator
10,639 Posts
I added another ground from the engine to the body, and it dramatically increased the cranking speed.
Are you saying that there was no engine-body ground strap when you had the slow cranking problem? Or that you had the factory-installed strap in place, but added a second one?

These cars came with a braided strap between the body and engine/trans that is located in the vicinity of the starter. That alone should be sufficient as long as it's in good shape, the mounting point on the body hasn't been undercoated over, etc. But if that strap is missing, the engine tries to ground through parts like the choke cable and slow cranking will result.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you saying that there was no engine-body ground strap when you had the slow cranking problem? Or that you had the factory-installed strap in place, but added a second one?

These cars came with a braided strap between the body and engine/trans that is located in the vicinity of the starter. That alone should be sufficient as long as it's in good shape, the mounting point on the body hasn't been undercoated over, etc. But if that strap is missing, the engine tries to ground through parts like the choke cable and slow cranking will result.
Thanks Jay for your response.
The braided groundstrap is there. Using a jumper cable, I connected the body to the engine head directly.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,568 Posts
I would remove the original strap and clean both ends and the body connection points. If you think that braided strap isn't working well just replace it.

On my Spider when it had the battery in the front corner I also added a strap from the battery straight to the head and it definitely improved starter performance. If yours did too I would leave it there.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ian and Jay for your responses, as well as the rest of you for previous posts (I did some digging last night).
So I followed Ian's suggestions, and cleaned up the braided contact.
Then I properly installed a ground between the body and one of the engine mounts on the exhaust side using a thick gauge black wire.
Then I installed a Starter Relay switch.
I could not believe how fast the engine cranks, and how quickly she started!
I'm soooo excited it;s unbearable.
With a reconditioned Pump from Wes, proper grounding, and a starter relay, it feels like I have a new car.
Now it;s time for some driving!!!!
Thanks
Franco

1 - 6 of 6 Posts