Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 74 spider that I drove for the first time last weekend after a few months in storage. The car starts and idles nicely but as soon as I give it throttle, it dies. And, when I do get the revs up (again, only when cold), as soon as I let the throttle off, it dies. I think it is starved of fuel. Once warm, it runs perfectly so I was able to fill it with fresh fuel. Last year, I replaced the TA with a rebuilt one from Wes Ingram and it ran great all summer. Any ideas before I go through the Spica tuning process per Wes's book?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
22,969 Posts
I'd first check the points and timing and plugs. If all that's good then you should go through Spica setup process.
Is the fuel pressure light coming on? In general if you have poor fuel pressure you feel it at high demand, not low demand.
Andrew

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuel pressure is good. Converted to electronic ignition. Sounds like a spica tune is in order.

·
Registered
1978 alfa romeo spider, 1987 alfa romeo spider graduate
17 Posts
I think you are on the right track, your TA will gradually fall out of order and so you may need to tune your SPICA FI system every once in a while to compensate.

·
Premium Member
22,969 Posts
Check your fuel pressure? Is your fuel pressure light coming on? All the rods and whatnot are connected? Sounds like a straightforward Spica check is in order.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I agree with the above comments.
What is rpm at cold start-up? Is the CSS functioning properly.? It could be stuck causing over-rich mixture when cold, until the engine warms up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts