Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a '74 Spider and have always wondered where the console pull cable throttle is supposed to connect to the motor.

I'm doing some work with repairing my console and ended up with the cable part from a donor - my car was missing the cable when I got it.

From what I see in the Spica docs and elsewhere, the throttle cable is never mentioned - but it was a standard thing on the cars for many years, right?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I can only comment on the non-injected cars in the UK and the fast-run cable attaches to an extension to the accelerator lever so that when it is deployed it holds the throttle partly open.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably not - but always wondered about it.

Somehow I thought it was more of a choke than just pulling the throttle linkage.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
You're not really gonna hook that thing up are you?
I feel this has a use. Very helpful I always felt with my '75 911, although better package. I have limited time with it with my '74 as its currently apart, but useful I'd think. Curious why you say this?

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
...Curious why you say this?
Well for one thing, out of the thousands of series 2 Spiders produced over the years the hand throttle has been removed from virtually every one of them. If you are routinely operating your Spider in extremely cold weather, a place where you have actually switched the temperature compensator lever on the Spica pump to the 'F' position, you might find occasional use for it but it's a finicky contraption that 99.99% of the time needs to remain completely disengaged from the throttle linkage to which it is attached.

It's true that I live in California and have never operated in an environment where it would be useful and I think it's likely also true that these days there are very few, if any, owners who do operate their S2 Spiders under those conditions. In normal temperatures down to and including freezing Spica has always started and idled fine when cold without any need for a hand throttle, at least for me it has. Properly adjusted with a contracted T/A it will idle in an enriched, partially open throttle position. The throttles won't close until the engine temperature has risen to normal.

So the only reason I say that is because I just don't think it's needed.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
With my Porsche I felt it was useful to bump up throttle a bit to warm up the car, in CA as well. Not long but useful I felt for a few minutes. It was a CIS car. The Alfa spider I have has Dellortos currently, not sure I'll stay with that configuration. Seemed useful to have the throttle for a few minutes to reduce manual throttle input while warming up a bit. Probably less useful in an ideally tuned car....

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
I thought I would reopen this old thread. The manual throttle is s great thing to have to warm a cold engine and set the RPM to like 2000. My cable has been broken off at the business end such that it won't reach the accelerator linkage. I could probably "steal" some of the whole cable and shroud that comes through the firewall but I doubt I have enough slack in it in the center console to make up the lost hard cable section. Any ideas on how I can replace the hard wire with a proper length? I don't have the piece removed from the console. I was hoping to restring a hard line on the bits of the unit or is that dreaming? .

·
Registered
16 Posts
I thought I would reopen this old thread. The manual throttle is s great thing to have to warm a cold engine and set the RPM to like 2000. My cable has been broken off at the business end such that it won't reach the accelerator linkage. I could probably "steal" some of the whole cable and shroud that comes through the firewall but I doubt I have enough slack in it in the center console to make up the lost hard cable section. Any ideas on how I can replace the hard wire with a proper length? I don't have the piece removed from the console. I was hoping to restring a hard line on the bits of the unit or is that dreaming?
From experience, its best just to remove the cable and install a new cable. You can go to your local hardware store and buy some braided steel wire string it then cut it to length. Make sure you fuse the end so it doesn't unwind.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
From experience, its best just to remove the cable and install a new cable. You can go to your local hardware store and buy some braided steel wire string it then cut it to length. Make sure you fuse the end so it doesn't unwind.
New guy .. the subject is a piano wire type.. thanks for the thought anyway

1 - 12 of 12 Posts