Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this forum and very happy to be here. So, on my Spider, the rod that links the clutch pedal lever to the master cylinder pushrod lever has sheared. Any ideas on how to remove it from the housing. Simply removing the nut that holds the pedal to the rod does not seem to free it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nevermind...

...I figured it out. For those who are interested, removing the nut is not enough, the stud which appeared stationary can and must be tapped out in order to free the pivoting rod. Thanks. I'm sure this wont be my last post.
-Kristian

·
Registered
163 Posts
Welcome to the board and if so, Alfa ownership. Sounds like you are off to a good start, the pedal problem is not uncommon and happened to have been my first ordeal some many years ago. Dont worry there will be others. You most likely will come to use this board with some frequency. After all you are driving a car that is 33 years old, and made in Italy. Cheers and good luck with the pedal fix. BTW I just removed that whole pedal assembly from my 74 parts car today. So I have an extra available for a small fee if you should not get satisfaction at the welders. Also a 72 parts mobile. Both are slated for genocide in the next two weeks.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Welcome to the board.
Don't worry about the foibles you encounter while living with the car; they have probably been addressed in this forum at some point. And that is the beauty of the board. :)

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
welcome to the board and hope your having as much fun with your 74 spider as I have with mine. A little agravation when things break, but worth it when they dont.
cliff

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks for all the welcome messages. This is actually my second Alfa which I've had since October. My first is currently on eBay (shameless plug - item#140132081614). This is the first problem I have had with this one, other than it only running on two cylinders when I first got it due to the float being stuck in one of the carbs (the reason I got a fantastic deal on the car; on the way home the car still crused at 70+ on only two cylinders once you got some momentum). I run a shop that services and restores vintage Italian Vespa and Lambretta motorscooters, so I know all about the ups and downs of riding/driving things that are 33 years old (or a lot older) and made in Italy. My current daily transportation is a 1961 Vespa GS160.
So, with my parts car now being more or less off-limits, I was actually able to fix my problem by using a Vespa rear break pivot rod and actuating arm in place of the stock Alfa setup which had broken. The relevant dimensions are exactly the same, and now the point where the actuating arm and the rod meet is a slotted fulcrum rather than a precarious weld. To boot, the clutch now operates better than ever. As soon as I find my camera, I will take pictures of the bodge and possibly post on this board as well as the various vintage scooter forums. Thanks again.
-Kristian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts