Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 74 spider. Appeared all original, but now that I'm tearing it apart I'm finding some older rust repairs. Paint on rockers is of a slightly coarser texture than remainder of body, done nicely, but definitely a repair. Does anyone know if original rocker exteriors were painted with a slightly coarser surface?

Second, car has an A/C unit that is nicely integrated into underdash but is definitely dealer installed or aftermarket. Does not work. Anyone know any history/comment on these units, specifically if they had a rep for overstressing the engine?

Looked for over a year for a 74, read the forums, but didn't make any contact with the folks here prior to purchase. Will post pictures later, but fully accept imbecile status.

Site is major resource.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The Alfa factory didn't use any kind of coarse paint for the rockers, but some aftermarket paint shops will add the coarse paint to the rockers to make it more chip resistant. It's not a bad idea if you don't mind how it looks and it is very low on the car. What's more important is what the coarse paint might be hiding. If the paint looks good and the car feels solid, you might want to leave well enough alone for now, unless you are about to do a major restoration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rocker paint

Bill;

Thanks for the reply. The jack points are all there and support the car. Doors open ok when the car is jacked. Definitely rust behind the new rockers, but the inners appear ok/average. Floors have been replaced It now lives in my barn, awaiting a new clutch, so is out of the elements.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
My paint guy did the "stone guard" treatment on the lower valance. It saved me some $$$ on prep work and seems to be a lot more durable for that area.

-Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts