Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
From a rust standpoint, it looks a lot better than the 74 spider I'm working on! :rolleyes:

I'd recommend removing the scale rust with a twisted wire wheel or wire cup on a grinder. That way you'll know for sure if you need to replace a section, or if it can just be coated with rust encapsulating paint.

Keep us posted. I'll enjoy monitoring your progress. Dickson

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From a rust standpoint, it looks a lot better than the 74 spider I'm working on! :rolleyes:

I'd recommend removing the scale rust with a twisted wire wheel or wire cup on a grinder. That way you'll know for sure if you need to replace a section, or if it can just be coated with rust encapsulating paint.

Keep us posted. I'll enjoy monitoring your progress. Dickson
Thanks for the info, I will post my progress.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
POR-15 is great for sealing and preventing more rust. Repiar where it holed or thin and cut back until you get to good metal. If you try to weld on thinned metal all you get is blow holes and big boogie welds that need a shipload of grinding.

I also may use this product to get to areas that don't look rusty but I think are. Like over th rear wheel arches. I'm working on a GTV and there is a small bit of rust at the edge but once vut out and fizxed will be fine but I'm certain if I opened it up all the way I will find corrosion up higher. This stuff might do the trick to stop and prevent.

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html

·
Registered
700 Posts
While expensive, the Eastwood products are universally good quality.

I too would like to spray inside my rockers to deter future rust, but on the spiders with multiple rocker layers, am not sure how to do so. Anyone?

This looks good as well:
Product Reviews - Heavy Duty Anti Rust Aerosol 13.5 oz

POR-15 is good, but I prefer Eastwood's rust encapsulator paint. It's easy to use and really works. POR-15 is UV sensitive (so needs a topcoat). To do so properly and get topcoat adhesion, due to POR's slickness, you need to buy their tie-coat primer. Just another expense. Also, POR-15 is almost a one use product. Once opened, you'd better use it all or it will usually harden in the can. Dickson

1 - 7 of 7 Posts