Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's always something! :D

When I bought the 74 spider the oil pressure gauge did not work. So, I bought a new sender unit and installed it. It was leaking, so I reinstalled it this morning using gas/oil tolerant teflon tape.

At the same time I tried to retain a very "floppy" dipstick tube, which due to the flexible (I assume rubber) bottom joint to the oil pan was resting on the headers.

I took the car on a drive this afternoon, and now the oil leak is significantly worse! :mad: I think that all told I lost about 4 quarts of oil over 40 minutes of drive time!

Is there a trick or missing gasket to the oil pressure sender (which still is non operable), or perhaps in moving the dipstick I cracked that rubber connection?

Thanks - Dickson

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Sorry for the disaster. Man, I dont remember anything unusual when I replaced my sender......Oh, used regular teflon- all teflon is oil resistant, by the way. Can you see maybe a huge drizzle from this oil leak? 4 qts??

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
The dipstick is on the left side of a 2L, while the oil pressure gauge sender is on the right. Which side is the oil leak on?

The oil warning light sender is on the left side, above the dipstick. Is that what you changed? My memory is that these senders use a tapered thread, so no gasket/washer is needed.

If the rubber dipstick holder was cracked you would lose some oil, but not 4 quarts in 40 minutes. I would suspect the sender that you changed.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
There is (should be) a circular metal tab with a grommet that holds the dipstick. that tab is held at the camshaft cover.

It should not flop.

Elio

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
4 quarts :eek:

The cars following you must have been spinning out of control.

Jr James Bond

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, all cars following were spinning out. :eek:

Actually, driving home tonight in the daily driver in the dark with headlights was like following a trail of Hansel's breadcrumbs...except that the trail was make of oil leading to my house!

I'm going to check the oil sender and dipstick tomorrow. So weird.

But hey, I'm learning a lot - even if it's "the hard way."

Thanks- Dickson

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
...the oil pressure gauge did not work. So, I bought a new sender unit and installed it. It was leaking, so I reinstalled it this morning using gas/oil tolerant teflon tape.
The oil pressure sensor for the gauge, above the starter on the right side of the engine, is a straight thread and requires a sealing washer (copper or aluminum), not teflon tape.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.

I was (incorrectly) told that the oil warning light port was on the left side of the 2L - essentially under the headers. That's where I installed the oil pressure gauge sender.

I'm going to take a "batch" approach and replace the dipstick rubber connection, the oil warning light sensor, and the oil pressure sender.

With my luck of late, I'll make it worse. :) We'll see.

Thanks for the advice! Dickson

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I was (incorrectly) told that the oil warning light port was on the left side of the 2L - essentially under the headers.
The oil light sender is under the exhaust manifold on 2L engines.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now I'm feeling dumb.

The oil pressure sensor - for the dash light - is under the headers (left side)

The oil pressure sensor - for the instrument panel gauge - is above the starter (right side)

Correct?

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Generally, thread tape is only useful for IPT (pipe threads); these are tapered and seal as they tighten. The Alfa oil senders are machine threads and need the sealing washer.

Robert

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
The oil sending unit under the headers is for low oil pressure and is for the warning light. The oil sending unit on the intake side at the rear of the motor is for the oil pressure gauge. As others have said, both require washers.

But I'm going to guess the dipstick coupling as the culprit. If the sending unit is leaking it should be shooting out oil all over, the headers would be smoking and the side of the engine bay would be soaked with oil.

Although... Did you replace the oil filter by chance? I've seen that much oil leak out when the o-ring for the oil filter is folded over. Pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
There is a drain tube from the oil vapor separator to the dipstick that often gets plugged; oil then backs up to the separator and can blow all over.

Robert

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys. Good to know that a washer is needed...That answers a lot.

I'll check the tightness on the oil filter, and will do the dipstick at the same time.

Thanks! :eek: Dickson

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Removed and replaced the oil filter. Installed a new oil pressure light sensor, snugly, with the aluminum washer.

Oil everywhere. 6 bags of kitty litter later...:eek:

I'm now hoping that perhaps the auto parts store gave me the wrong oil filter. I'll order a new one tomorrow from Centerline & hope for the best. Dickson

1 - 20 of 24 Posts