Alfa Romeo Forums banner

'74 GTV with 29,600 miles for sale

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  PSk 
#1 · (Edited)
This is not a perfect car; it is a really nice survivor. Serial number 3023255. Verde Muscio Chiaro, 227. Records from new. Originally sold in Calgary, Alberta. It even has a block heater, and was rustproofed when new. The first owner kept it until 1999, when it had 15,070 miles on the clock. Subsequent owners in Michigan, Georgia, and I am the second Pennsylvania owner. The only rust I have found was under the windshield on the passenger side, and several small spots under the gasket of the rear window, and those were repaired this year. The windshield was replaced at the same time with a gasketed version, with new trim from Classic Alfa. With those repairs, the paint is obviously not all original, but the vast majority of it is. The interior is original. There are 3 or so cracks in the dash, which, sadly, were not there in 2011 when I bought the car. The seats are not torn, but the stitching on the fronts is almost completely gone, which is consistent with a 30,000 mile car, whether it is 3 years old or 45. I have a spare set of front seats, with new foam and covers, which have never been in the car. I also have spare covers for the rear seats, should the next owner ever need them. My wife and I took the car on 2 pre convention tours, in Michigan and New England, without any problems that were not easily and quickly addressed. All maintenance for both owners in PA has been done by Nick Falcone Enterprises, a shop with an excellent reputation. There are also receipts for work done at Mike Besic’s shop, when the car lived across the lake in Michigan. It’s a great car that I would drive anywhere. I am selling to fund the restoration of a ’65 Spider Veloce, and for no other reason. I will be putting it up on BringaTrailer or Hemmings as soon as I can get some pictures on a lift, a compression test, and some paint meter readings. I thought I would post it here first, in case there is any interest, and to give Uncle an opportunity weigh in. More pictures can be found at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/95256685@N08/albums/72157711994768027
Asking $60k. Located in West Chester, PA. PM if interested.
Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Wheel Auto part

See less See more
#3 ·
Uncle here.. I don't know the car as well as I know the seller. We've been AROC members for decades together. I did see the car at Detroit (it was closed trailered from PA but I think they did the long Lakes tour). Dave is not going to blow any smoke so if you are concerned about what is represented , you are safe. Unrestored cars are something to behold as there are so few of them left that haven't had EVERYTHING done to them because THEY NEEDED everything done to them.The low mileage and resulting pampering is probably about as good a combination as you will get in an original car. Anything original that I see in the market, is "worn-out" original and needs a major over-haul.. up and down and inside. . At 30,000 miles this car is just getting it's legs.

#5 ·
I managed to get some time on a lift. A few of the pictures are here, and many more on the Flickr link above. I did not have the underside steam cleaned or pressure washed, and I have not sprayed anything on the underside of the car during my ownership. I believe that the car was undercoated when new, or it would not be in the condition it is in today. Prior owners may have touched it up along the way, or maybe not.

Vehicle Auto part Motor vehicle Car Tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Auto part
Automotive exterior Rust Metal Steel
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part
Rust
Tire Green Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel

#8 ·
Wow

What a shame it was not driven, though
Pete
I don't think its a shame at all.

This is a very well preserved car, one on the most original examples I have seen.
Original examples like this are rare. And I would rather a car like this, than a restored car with replaced body panels, floors welded in, new repro this and that, and shiny new paint. The factory welds are beautiful.

Someone will be very lucky to own this car. I hope it will end up with a loving owner and caretaker that will drive it, but preserve it as is for many more years!

Reactions: joegt3cup
#9 ·
I understand and agree the next owner gets an awesome car, but heck the first owner missed out on so much of the pleasure of these cars. They are not just to look at.

And yes the best original GTV I've ever seen
Pete
ps: I bought my 115v6 with 113k kms, now it has nearly 170k kms. Only had it for 4 years, and use another car + bus to get to and from work. Alfas are best when used

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.