Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tach needle would not go beyond 1500 rpm since I have owned the car (3 years).
Replaced the tach cable today and cleaned all of the oil out of the cable fitting in the tach.
Both the tach and speedometer cables look original and oil oozed out of each fitting when removed.
Looks like oil/grease has been pushed up into the tach and speedo over the years.

After receiving the car I notice the needle looked strange, broken.
When I had the tach apart to troubleshoot and clean I could see a wire was soldered on the backside to hold the two pieces together.

The white paint is also discolored on the needle tip half, probably from too much heat.

Cleaning the grease out of the tach cable fitting and carefully cleaning the needle shaft has helped with the needle movement but it looks like the added weight of the wire is now causing the error.

No idea what year needles will fit.
Anyone have a needle I can purchase?

Appreciate the help!
Thank you,
Glenn

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,435 Posts
You've probably got a leaking seal at the speedometer and/or tach drive. Any oil that leaks there will wick up the cable into the instruments. Either that or somebody oiled the cable which is a no-no, this is a good application for graphite lube.

The cheapest way to replace a needle is with a piece of balsa wood painted white. If you put some effort into the cosmetics it can come out really good.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Ok this is what I think. The cable is attached to a magnet that rotates and as it rotates it drags the needle to speed. Because there is a extra weight on the needle it will take more force from magnet to move it so it is just not responding right.

So yes you need a new needle or tach or cluster of instruments.

K

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
Agree with kengta. The weight of the pointer affects the calibration.

Reactions: kengta

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Placed a wanted post in the parts section.

Thanks,
Glenn

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
A couple of years ago I had the same problem with my GTV6 Replaced the tach needle with a piece of "Evergreen scale models" strip styrene..product number 291..Worked dandy and easy to do..Any good hobby shop will have it
good luck
Chuck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts