Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site, so I'm not sure of the process, but here goes:
I've completely rebuilt the front suspension in my 74 GTV. I didn't torque any of the fittings because I knew to wait until the weight is on the car. I let the car down and it's so high in the front it looks as if the car doesn't have an engine in it. I took out the springs and lowered the pans the springs fit in as much as I could; it's a little better. I measured a friend's 69 GTV and from the floor to the highest point of the fender curve is 25 inches; mine is 28 inches. I've been told that Alfa raised the front end of some cars coming into the U.S.A to meet headlight specifications. A friend suggested cutting off three inches of each spring. Another friend said he did that on his Berlina and the ride was really harsh. I have to believe someone else has run into this and can give me some advice. Thanks, AL

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Al,
Are you in SLO? If so you have seen my car. I have a set of Centerline springs all around, and they made a huge difference with the way the car drives. I had the stock ones, and the front end was so soft the brake dive was out of control. Cutting a coil off the front springs probably won't make it that harsh. Personally, I tend to find non lowered GTVs look like they are on stilts. The issue with lowering a GTV is that is really messes with the roll center and the fact that the front is already low, and the rear is all together too high. When you lower the cars, the roll center goes below ground requiring a high spring rate to compensate. The other thing is that the shocks will play a large part in the harshness of the ride. I still have the original stock SPICAs. If you have stiff springs you need firmer shocks to control them. Koni reds should work if you just cut the springs, the yellows might be a better choice if you go with a set of aftermarket springs. Personally, I'm thinking of running a set of Bilsteins on the front and a set of Koni reds on the back as I am sort of setting the car up as an emergency race car (autoX) and would like to control some of the body roll without relying on huge swaybars that could tear up the front mounts.

Oh yeah, did you remove the spacers from under the springs?

See ya,

Will

1 - 2 of 2 Posts