Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to troubleshoot the sunroof on my newly aquired GTV...Can anyone tell me how to access the motor? I get a single click when trying to open or close the roof, like its trying to do something.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Welcome to the BB!
Pretty rare car you have there; a GTV with an electric sunroof. Of the very few examples I've seen, they were all manual. To my knowledge, which has been wrong before, is that Alfa did not install sunrooves at the factory but rather they were installed either at port of entry, the dealer or aftermarket. If that's the case, then I'd think that info on parts, repairs and how it's wired would be harder to come by than the car itself.
It sounds though that the electrical side of the system is working if the motor clicks. Where is the motor anyway? Can you post some pics?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the pm link to the diagram, I printed it out with no probs. The car was a great "find", I actually bought it from a dealer/dismantler who picked it up at an insurance auction. It runs and drives great, interior is original and ratty, it has damage to the rear that will probably warrant a new right rear quarter panel, but not sure yet. And of course its suffering from a cheap re-paint once in its life time (like someone else posted...what is it with old Alfa's and cheap paint jobs?) The sunroof definitley looks like it is supposed to be there, its metal, body colored, slides into the headliner and seems to be controled by a single rocker switch in the headliner between the visors. I have yet to find the motor, today I will pull the switch and look around. I would love to post pics, I have them on my computer, just not sure how to post them?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Existence of factory sunroofs in 105/115 GTV's is an age old question someone attempted to answer on the Alfa Digest a couple of years ago. They looked at parts catalogs and the earliest models with a sunroof was the Alfetta series and they were manual sunroofs. The power sunroof didn't appear in parts manuals until the Milano. Also someone else who has access to people who worked at ARI in New Jersey in the late 60's and 70's asked if GTV's came with factory sunroofs. Their answer:

***NEVER HAPPENED***
Do you remember factory power sunroofs?

factory manual sunroofs?

port-installed sunroof conversions?

***IN SOME MARKETS SUCH AS UK, YES THERE WERE***
or dealer-installed sunroof conversions on US-spec cars in the 1750 and 2000 era?

***YES, USUALLY THROUGH ONE OF THE AUTHORIZED INSTALLERS, WEBASTO WAS COMMON AS WERE TWO OR THREE
OTHERS, HOWEVER ALL I REMEMBER WERE MANUALLY OPERATED.***
Most of the sunroofs I have seen or heard about prior to these were either clearly aftermarket products and/or German "Webasto" sunroofs.

CORRECT!!!!!! DEALERS ALL OVER THE WORLD DID HAVE SUNROOFS INSTALLED, SOLIDS, GLASS, AND I EVEN SAW SOME FABRICS. NOT UNCOMMON AT ALL.
The source also indicated that there should be a owners manual supplement from the roof manufacturer with the car and a label inside the slide rails with the manufacturer name.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info John, after tearing into it, it is obvious that it was not installed at the factory due to the way it is wired. I would say it is safe to assume it was installed when the car was new, probably at the dealer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Factory sunroof

I have to tell you guys I believe my '72 2000 GTV has a factory sunroof. It is solid metal (not fabric or plexiglas) the same color as the rest of the car and is operated manually. When open it slides INTO the roof not over it or under it and it fits flush when closed. It also has drain channels from the sunroof (inside of the roof) that connect to the drain channels along the back windows. None of this could have been done aftermarket.

When I had a new roof liner installed the one I was told was the correct one was totally wrong for this car. It wasn't even close because the one I bought was for a car that did not have a sunroof. I had to have the liner specially made to fit my car. When I look at other GTVs without a sunroof their liners are completely different (where the seams are, how it fits, etc.) So I don't know but I know what I have and it does not seem possible that all this could have been done aftermarket.

Steve S.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 74 I had was as you describe, headliner, drain channels, metal, sliding inot the roof, ect... The only thing that really did not look factory was the wiring down to the fuse panel. This has been discussed before and sources seem to confirm that they were done after the cars left the factory, either at the ports or the dealerships. All in all they still look as if it was a factory job.

·
Registered
739 Posts
K. Again, why don't the parts for a factory sunroof show up in the factory parts manuals or fische? Why does an Alfa insider from the period say they didn't exist? Sorry to be harsh, but the facts don't support the factory sunroof. As these cars become valuable, IMHO it's important to establish what is and isn't factory esp. as the people who were in the know disappear.

Enjoy yours,

·
Registered
167 Posts
John, I hear what you're saying but when you see this in operation and realize the incredible amount of time and work and skill to do this "after the fact" it just seems incredible that anyone except the factory would do something like this. But you may and probable are correct, and I will enjoy mine 'cause regardless it is the best and coolest looking sunroof I've ever seen on a GTV.

Steve
'72 2000 GTV

1 - 10 of 10 Posts