Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one!

Last year I found this 74 GTV

At the beginning I was thinking that it was in "good" conditions... but (Right now, I know that always is the same history) in fact, it needs tons of work
Here some pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing is: I´m trying to make the bodywork; I started last week to disassemble ( It´s very important that I don´t have experience in that; I have a 76 Spider, and didn´t need that kind of work.. or I want to think it!)

And this is the result:

Attachments

·
Registered
718 Posts
:surprise: Ahhh lots of detailed pictures it's a very big job to do a total strip and rebuild of a car. (LOTS OF DETAILED PICTURES )

Attachments

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
So far you are very, very lucky only a small amount of rust!

Personally if you keep only finding small amounts of rust like this; I'd not go too deep, repair the rust you find with neat patches, and do a nice repaint and put her back together and get driving.
Pete

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
As Pete states....the rust underneath the rear window stainless is minor. New part for that is available from most of the usual suppliers. I'm sure if you show us the real bad area (s) ...we'll be able to comfort you with our collective and sage advice...:smile2:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Good work - it really is not so bad.

Like others have said - you have to choose which way to go

Repair what you find/see and then drive and enjoy it
OR
go for a full restoration

I think even on a really nice GT that has been regularly driven - if you go digging you will find plenty rust (rust that may not otherwise have surfaced for a good few years, whilst you were enjoying it).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Good work - it really is not so bad.

Like others have said - you have to choose which way to go

Repair what you find/see and then drive and enjoy it
OR
go for a full restoration

I think even on a really nice GT that has been regularly driven - if you go digging you will find plenty rust (rust that may not otherwise have surfaced for a good few years, whilst you were enjoying it).
Well, the car have a lot of rust covered with car filler... so I think I´m at the moment to make a complete restoration; I don´t want a museum car; I want a good bodywork to have a car without problems in the future :_)

·
Registered
450 Posts
yes the photos show a lot of filler!

I think the car is a lot heavier than it left the factory :)

Good luck and enjoy the journey. Im enjoying mine so far

1 - 20 of 23 Posts