Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well here she is fresh from Austin, two flats on the trailer later back home. Plenty of rust mainly the rear windows, rockers, and lower wings but oddly enough the pans and spare tire well are sound as are the structures. Can't say that about the one that used to be perfect and left with a friend who let it roll down a hill and crash into a tree. The left frame where the steering box bolts to is pushed back about 3/8 ths of an inch. The tie rod is bent into a near perfect letter U, one hellva impact for just rolling. Steering box is busted for sure. This guy has a 71 911 and should know about manual trans cars. My emergency brake works perfectly btw, he just didn't use it when he got out to get his paper from the mail box at the end of his quarter mile concrete driveway. His insurance will cover it but we haven't gotten to that part yet. I'm bracing. But enough of that. Got the left rear window inside channel repaired and am waiting on a boatload of sheetmetal from Classic.
Also got the 40mm lower springs and heavier sway bar which I'm looking forward to. The motor sounds really tight and runs pretty darn good but I've got a fresh spare motor with headwork and new gearbox Ill use instead. I ordered all this stuff last Friday when the GBP crashed against the dollar so I kinda went hog wild with the ordering, yikes!

·
Premium Member
6,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I plan on the AR343 with 2 grams per qt of blue pearl again.

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
Ouch, that hurts to look at.

·
Premium Member
6,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it does.
Right side with a combination of metal from parts car and homemade. I bumped up the mig to 4, highest, and increased the speed a tad and the welds are much flatter and a lot less finishing needed, look better too!

old gas tank flanges were trashed along with the flange in the car itself. I cut out the trunk, ur, boot floor on the parts car and will put that in for a solid floor. Fortunately I stashed a good tank away and it has a screw on cap which isn't year correct but I kinda like it better, it's more "Alfa". The drain channels on the car are shot so I'll be using more metal from the parts car. Steady progress....

Reactions: IanB

·
Administrator
14,607 Posts
I'm confused. Is the blue car the one you recently restored and finished ... and if so :(, and the white one a new restoration project?

Best
Pete

·
Premium Member
6,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is correct. It was perfect, no rust and never been bent. His insurance is supposed to cover it but it will be two weeks Monday and haven't heard from the adjuster.
A few weeks ago I was looking around for something to do and the thought crossed my mind I might have to get a job to keep busy. Fortunately some friends came to the rescue and mentioned the white car might be available. Score! My plan was to restore it so I would have a hard time deciding which one to keep. I don't need two GTVs and not considering my labor costs I stand a good chance of recovering cost of parts and then some. The blue car can be fixed but according to the best expert I know the crossmember will have to come out and the frame wall will have to be split apart and each side of the double wall straightened by itself and then everything reassembled. What worries me is after the impact the throttle shaft on the firewall was in a bind sticking the throttle open. That tells me the whole car was twisted and will have to be addressed in any repair thus adding to the cost.

·
Premium Member
6,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good floor for the gas tank. What I used has now been on three Alfas. Being a pack rat has finally paid off. The drain corners were a bit tricky, even no rust old sheetmetal can be foil thin. Lots of quick pecks half onto the previous bead and the other half covering new territory. I've decided this type of welding is like golf, things can be going great hitting some great shots and then for no obvious reason, bam, a blow through, frustrating and immensely satisfying at the same time.

I called Dustless Blasting and there is a guy close to me that has the equipment. He estimated around a grand to do the whole car. That includes engine bay trunk, and cabin. He charges by the hour so it's just an estimate and he comes to me. Any thoughts on the value? Once I get all the new metal in I plan on giving him a call. It sure beats stripping it by hand.

Reactions: IanB and PSk

·
Premium Member
6,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
This is so much easier than my Berlina. That was pretty rough, this is a walk in the park compared to the middle and outer sills on that one. Having available metal sure does help. All that should be here hopefully tomorrow.

Having a tool that works as advertised is happy. The spot weld cutter makes deconstruction so much easier.

Reactions: jantar and IanB

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Sorry to see the blue car bent. A real shame. Thanks for sharing this current project. It should, at the least, keep you from having to get a job.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
6,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The more I dive into this car the more excited I get. The steering box is tight and it's easy to tell it hasn't been abused in it's early years as so many have been. It's solid, straight, and should make a very nice car to drive. The one thing that has me worried is the guy who put the headliner in the blue car told me he wouldn't do another one for eight hundred bucks. I'm going to need another one and I guess I'll tell him he know's how to do it now and can get it done faster. He did a really good job and I really want to use him again.

Reactions: cuorealfa

·
Registered
197 Posts
Keep on welding and cutting, and being a pack rat has certainly paid off! Compared with fabricating patches, you are saving BOAT LOADS OF TIME!
Congratulations and am now following the wonderful thread.

·
Premium Member
6,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! I appreciate that. Got my treasures from Classic, man those guys are great! The panels fit subpurb. There are smaller pieces I can fabricate with my limited skills but it was so nice to have the rocker fit like a glove, it will make for a nice finished project. Here is the left side and front lower wing together, a personal best. There are so many real craftsmen here I can't begin to compare my work with what I've seen others do but if I can get a little better each time I can live with that.

·
Premium Member
6,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For areas that won't receive a topcoat I prefer Eastwood Heavy Duty AntiRust over POR or Rust Encapsulator because it is thicker and stays waxey. Perfect for the insides.

·
Premium Member
6,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, ran out of mig wire and took the afternoon off! I'll start on the rear quarter window lower channel tomorrow after I do some catch up as in go pick up my Berlina seats that are being recovered, get wire, and other stuff:)

·
Premium Member
6,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The saga continues...

·
Premium Member
6,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
On the rear quarter I copied the radius of the rear quarter panel with a little tool I got at HF a really long time ago. I transferred the radius to a piece of lexan and used that to check the radius of the panel. That got rid of any high spots and will keep the use of filler to a minimum. It actually worked pretty well.

It sure does look a lot better than it did before:)

Reactions: PSk and IanB

·
Premium Member
6,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This piece was tricky to fit but a test fit of rear glass and lid indicates all is well.

Reactions: PSk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Dayammm.....that is a hard panel to take on! All those existing spots need to be drilled and then fit the repair panel then got the glass befor you spot it all in.....I am in awe....per the usual when I eagerly look forward to the updates. Nice work!!

·
Premium Member
6,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fin on the exterior rust repair. Just two small holes in the front pans left and I remembered to drop the brake line this time:) Can't wait to strip and get rid of all that ugly old patina and a clean it up inside and out with a good coat of primer.

Reactions: IanB
1 - 20 of 124 Posts