Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vinyl on my interior door panels is in quite good shape but the hard backing material (cardboard-like) is warped because of water leakage (no plastic door liner). Anyone know where to get just the backing material ? (I don't think I need the complete panel replacement)

·
Registered
505 Posts
One you have decided to renew the back panel, I would suggest going for good material such as Meranti triply (3 mm thick). This is waterproof and should be available at several stores.

·
Registered
462 Posts
There's a material that sign shops use, expanded PVC panels. You can get it in a .125" thickness. Totally waterproof and stable. Easy to use and cut.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I`ve used the expanded pvc sheet also (corflute it`s called over here) after I had to fix the electric windows on my Ferrari Testarossa I had and found Ferrari used that material for their door cards. I`ve since then used the bigger real estate signs(used) as the backing board for my GTV6 door cards and the material was ideal-Guess that makes me a recycler/conservationist and the GTV6 eco friendly.

Richard J
`65 Giulia Ti, `69 GT Junior, `74 GTV 2000, `76 Alfetta GTV, `77 Alfetta GTV, 81 Alfasud Ti, `84 GTV6

·
Super Moderator
10,186 Posts
"There's a material that sign shops use, expanded PVC panels"

Yea, but can you put staples into this stuff? Will the edge crack if you put in multiple staples, all 3/8" from the edge?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
The corflute is very stable and can be stapled but I used mainly duct tape as it made the item very easy to adjust/dismantle-was experimenting at the time but 12 months after both door cards still look good and the upholstery remains where it was placed and tensioned so staples don`t really need to be used just looks neater but who sees it anyway and the way the tape is placed looks maybe neater still.

Richard J

1 - 8 of 8 Posts