Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Boy, that GTV has a lot wrong with it for that kind of $. Looks like a quick cheap paint job on a beater for a quick flip. :(
Yes that car looks like a quick flip.. and not a very nice one.. :(
I actually went to see that GTV in person this weekend. And I couldn't agree more with you guys. It was a great 10-15 footer with TONS of little blemishes that added up to me walking away from the deal. The paint was done before this dealer picked the car up. They bought it as is, and I believe them.

The paint job was not bad at all, and what a great color. But unfortunately it was not well cared for after its completion (chips, dings). The only place there was over spray was the rear window weatherstrip (about 1mm all the way around) and some under the hood. The chrome was good except for the top of the rear window trim where someone buzzed it with a grinder when they were probably doing the body work. There was very little care taken with the body panel fitment. The hood interfered with the front nose when opened, and the door gaps were poor and had chipping from when they first must have messed up with the alignment.

The drivers door has a serious problem around the door handle. It appears someone had tried to open the door so hard, that they pulled the handle out from the body panel and how there are gaps at either side of the handle. Not to mention the cracked paint there too.

The trunk inside was repainted, but looked like it was painted over some surface rust in the spare tire well. There was no rust penetration but there was definitely something under the paint.

The seats were really nice as was the carpeting, but the center console was a mess along with some of the dashboard wiring.

The seller was open about lots of its short comings, but in the ad it mentioned a "re worked" suspension. I could find no evidence of this, all bushings and suspension components appeared to be tired and original. The entire brake system looks to have been replaced (new booster, MC, lines etc).

There were rust bubbles on the passenger side rocker panel as well, but nowhere else on the car. Sorry about the blurry Iphone pictures!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm new to GTV's but not Alfa's. I had a 83 Spider and 84 GTV-6 but both were purchased new-ish. Been thinking of a GTV for my next weekend car but don't know much about them. I see the paint overspray in these pic's and the nicks/bumps etc. How much in your opinion's should a car in this condition go for.

I have seen a fair number of GTV's in the low 20k range advertised, is it reasonable to expect flawless cosmetics for that price or are nicks and scraps to be expected

Thanks

Len

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm new to GTV's but not Alfa's. I had a 83 Spider and 84 GTV-6 but both were purchased new-ish. Been thinking of a GTV for my next weekend car but don't know much about them. I see the paint overspray in these pic's and the nicks/bumps etc. How much in your opinion's should a car in this condition go for.

I have seen a fair number of GTV's in the low 20k range advertised, is it reasonable to expect flawless cosmetics for that price or are nicks and scraps to be expected

Thanks

Len
Great question, and Im not quite sure myself on the answer. I have been noticing mint condition GTV's in the mid to uppper 20's. I have also seen some rough looking drivers (original worn out condition) fetch in 8-10 range. This is sort of in between, on the higher end. Hopefully an "expert" will chime in...

·
Registered
2,456 Posts

Thanks

Len
I'm no expert but IMO, the red GTV 2000 in question should be worth no more than $13K - $14K assuming it runs/drives well, has decent compression #s and comes complete (no missing trim, hardware, etc). My guess is this car has some mechanical issues. $14K is probably a stretch. Also, may be the photos but the Rosso Amaranto respray doesn't look quite right. Look at the wheel wells vs. the exterior paint. Hmmmm.

Here's one reason (just one) that I wouldn't buy this car: If you paid $14K for it and plowed in another $15K (read: optimistic) to make it right... you wouldn't have a car worth $29K :(.

Best advice ever... "Buy the nicest GTV you can afford."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts