Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally gotten a replacement windshield for my '74 GTV. I had cracked the original one while removing it to do rust repairs.

Now I'm wondering how, exactly, to fit it back in.
Has anyone done this themselves?

I have a tube of 3M windshield adhesive, but I'm not sure if this is all I need. There seems to be an awfull lot of space to fill in between the glass and the body.

Do I just run a small bead of adheasive all around the metal windshield opening and lay the glass in?
How big should the bead of sealant be?

Do I need to first lay down some tar rope or similar stuff to fill in all the space around the edges of the glass and the metal body?

Any advice or product recommendations are welcome.

Thanks,
George

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
The metal windsheild opening needs to be trimmed. The trim is sold at upholstery supply shops, often called "snap trim" or "windlace" kind of a plastic/rubber flexible "U" channel this stuff goes completely arround the windsheild opening covering the edge the headliner, the side plliars and base. Then you fill with the 3M sealer the space between the body and the snap trim, lay on the windsheild and finish filling with the sealer, then with sealer, install the external bright trim. Don't be bashful about using the sealer, you must have no voids and a complete seal. I'd have two fresh tubes on hand to start, one is not enough

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, thanks for the info.

So, I use the 3M adhesive for gluing the windshield in AND filling in the voids.

Some other cars (like my old Volvo 240) used a "tar rope" type seal first, and then the adhesive. It gave the glass quite a bit of cushion. But there wasn't anything like this on the Alfa when I took the glass out, although there seemed to be both sticky black adhesive and some kind of hard, brown epoxy glue, too, which I had to chisel off of the body.

I have the original "windlace". I wasn't sure if this went in before or after the windshield.

Thanks again,
George

1 - 3 of 3 Posts