Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time reader and forum searcher, first time poster.

How in the world do you get the gas tank out of a 74 GTV? Is there something I'm missing? Am I an idiot?

After draining 5 gallons of 12 y/o gas and inspecting the inside of the tank, I disconnected everything, took out the screws, etc. Then I spent 3 hours so far trying to wrestle the thing out of there with no luck. If I get the solid filler neck clear, it runs into the inside lip of the trunk - if I get the back part out, the filler neck gets jammed above the filler door. I have searched and searched for a thread that has a magic diagram for the origami you have to pull to get that thing out of the trunk, but to no avail.

I see that it is a common practice to cut the neck off and replace an inch or so of the middle with removable hose, but I can't do that while it is in the car right? I am afraid of blowing myself up for starters.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm sure we both have the same style of fuel tank.

It can be done without hacking off the neck... I did it and I'm not a whiz-bang at tank removal, but working slowly and having patience helps a bunch.

-Doug

·
Super Moderator
10,604 Posts
Do you still have the rubber boot in place that goes behind the filler door, and grips the filler neck? You may need to release that from the body, and slide it down the filler neck, before removing the tank.

I am a member of the "cut off the neck, shorten it 1", use 2 clamps + hose to re-attach" camp. Makes re-installing the tank a snap, easier to re-fuel with the filler lower, ....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it is just the standard tank as far as I can see. I removed the rubber boot from around the filler neck (which is also a pain, though minor by comparison). But I just can't seem to orient the tank correctly to get it out of the trunk.

I have tried lifting straight up but the filler neck is too tall, tipping toward the front of the car to nearly vertical but it just gets jammed (and the filler neck hits the inner wheel well). I just can't seem to figure out how to manipulate it to get it to come out. Any tips on the general orientation that the thing was in when it came out? Pretty much the way it sits, tipped way forward, way backward? To one side? I am totally flummoxed...

Thanks for the replies and your help.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Jack up the rear of the car then tilt the tank so you can lower the tank out through the opening in the trunk where the tank was secured. Get the rear high enough off the ground so that you can get the tank out from beneath the car. Should take all of 5 minutes to get it out this way. Trying to get it out through the trunk is a non-starter. This approach is well chronicled in at least one thread on the BB.

·
Super Moderator
10,604 Posts
My memory is that you do not tip the front or rear of the tank up.

When standing behind the car, I believe you want to tip the right side of the tank up, scraping the right side & bottom of the tank along the right edge of the cut-out in the trunk.

------------------------------

p.s. Looks like nunki and I were writing at the same time. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with him - perhaps it works differently on '65 coupes (like mine) and '74 GTV's (like cfolsen's). But I know I didn't get mine out through the bottom.

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
I just did this on my '71 (second time) and it is a matter of tenths of inches. Jay's method described above is right on. If you try anything else, which is very tempting because it starts looking like it will come out, it won't quite make it. I have been able to lower through the hole also but you don't have to go that way. I plan to cut my filler neck and have it re-welded shorter just to make filling easier at the gas station. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help. I will let you know how it goes. And get some detailed pics/advice for others.

Once I get it out, I was planning on sending it to be cleaned, sealed and painted. After that, I will be putting new fuel lines, new fuel pump and filters. Looking forward to documenting stuff to share with the folks here (not just asking questions).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jack up the rear of the car then tilt the tank so you can lower the tank out through the opening in the trunk where the tank was secured. Get the rear high enough off the ground so that you can get the tank out from beneath the car. Should take all of 5 minutes to get it out this way. Trying to get it out through the trunk is a non-starter. This approach is well chronicled in at least one thread on the BB.
Thanks Nunki. I think the 74 must be a bit different? I don't see any way of getting the tank out of the bottom (I tried that along with a thousand other ways) - there is a big flange on the tank that is above a lip in the sheet metal in the trunk floor. Simply screwing the thing in from below would be a much better design IMHO. Still haven't gotten the thing out, but will remain open to all ideas until I do!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Success!! Man, what a pain!!

For others who are having this issue:
(All directions are assuming that you are looking at the trunk of the car)
After removing all the screws and the connections (hoses, sender unit wires, etc.) I removed the breather box and cleared everything out of the way. Then I removed the funnel thing around the filler neck. (Not sure if I am ever going to be able to get that thing back on, but that is an ordeal for another time).

What was the key was to lift the whole tank up just a bit, tilt it to the left (so the right side of the tank tilts up). I opened the fuel door to let the top of the filler neck stick out a little. I then put a floor jack under the right side of the tank with a shot section of 4x4 on top to even out the pressure. I lifted the floor jack up a bit and it pretty much wedged the tank in place. Then I just wiggled it a bit (Gene is right, it is a matter of tenths of inches) and then just pushed down on the left side of the tank while pulling up on the right side and out it came.

After that experience, I am definitely going to cut out a section of the filler neck before it goes back in.

Once I got it out, I got a better look inside, and wow, am I glad I pulled the tank. It is so bad, I just hope it can be salvaged.

Anyway, hope that helps the next poor soul that has to go through removing the fuel tank out of a 74 alfa GTV.

Thanks for everyone's help!

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've probably removed the gas tanks from different model year GTVs a few dozen times over the last 20 years and have never worked as hard of you did. Yes, they do require a bit of finesse but not usually as much as you describe. Something does not seem right. Perhaps a dinged-up tank or was the car rear-ended?

Anyway, the tried-and-true way of getting the rubber boot on and in place around the filler neck is to lubricate the edge of the hole that the filler neck will slip through with a small dab of silicone grease. This approach also works when feeding such things as heater hoses and the scuttle vent drain hose through their rubber grommets on the firewall. Guaranteed to work on all models years of the GTV. Oh, and place the boot on the car before installing the tank. Getting the boot secured to the car after the tank is in is truly a difficult job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I might have just been too new to working on Alfas :) when I knew the right track, it only took a few minutes. I may keep this thread going to document the tank cleaning and fuel line replacement process. I am new to the forum, so not sure if that is cool or if I should start a new thread.

Here is what I am planning:
Doing the tank resto myself with POR-15 tank kit POR-15 Fuel Tank Repair Kit It is solid, just full of gunk and needs a good clean/seal.
Tearing out and replacing the fuel lines, filters and installing a new fuel pump (broke that down today and it is totally done).

Pics and descriptions soon!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tank out - cleaning

I Bought the POR 15 gas tank rest kit on amazon and started on it this morning. I got to step one where you pour the degreaser into the tank and slosh it around. After constantly turning, sloshing and shaking for 20+ minutes, you drain and rinse the tank.

Well, i did that and gunk kept coming out, so I kept rinsing - more gunk. I had taped up all of the sours and holes prior to doing the clean/rinse and was using the filler neck to fill and drain. I decided I needed a little more light on the project so I untapped the sender unit hole in the top of the tank and shone a light in there. Still tons of varnish and gunk. Hmmm.

So out came the power washer. The spray end fits in the hole nicely and I can reach about 60% of the tank including shooting straight into the bottom sump/baffle of the tank. It took about 2 hours of spraying, rinsing, spraying, checking, spraying, etc. to finally get the bottom 60% cleaned out. The power washer works like a charm.

I can't see the inside of the top of the tank, but since it wasn't submerged in the gas, I am going to assume that it isn't as gunky. I am going to use the second bottle of the degreaser that comes in the kit and concentrate on the top of the tank.

I would take pictures, but I can't seem to get enough light in there to get one that shows anything.

Done with the project for today (need to do some other stuff around here) The next step after the clean is the metal prep which has to be followed immediately by drying and the coating step so it is a solid 2-3 hours of time. So it will have to wait for next week.

Ordered fuel lines, filter and new fuel pump as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been a while. After spending the winter stuck inside and then throwing my back out, I got back to it. The POR-15 tank cleaning and sealer works great! Tank is all fixed up. I am going to cut the next and take out an inch so that I can get it back in the car (and reattach with some fuel-grade tubing.

Also got the new pump, lines, sender and filters (the main and the pre-pump filters). I am going to try and get some pictures of the whole process.

One quick question, though - I got the new sender for Jaeger gauges from Centerline and it has a tube that goes down the the middle of of the cap plate and extends a good 8-9 inches into the tank. This wasn't on the other one that I took out of the tank. (See Image) What is this for? I have an injection car and don't have another hose that would connect to it. Can I just cap it off?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Absolutely replace the old filler boot with a new one.. Very pricey ..like $90 ... but it was the source of my trunk leak as in WATER! They tend to crack and can leave enough space to flood your trunk from a Sat afternoon car wash. Drove me up a wall changing trunk lid seals before I found it to be the culprit! It took close examination to find it but it solved my wet trunk problem when I changed it. And yes it is a royal PITA to install.

·
Registered
731 Posts
One quick question, though - I got the new sender for Jaeger gauges from Centerline and it has a tube that goes down the the middle of of the cap plate and extends a good 8-9 inches into the tank. This wasn't on the other one that I took out of the tank. (See Image) What is this for? I have an injection car and don't have another hose that would connect to it. Can I just cap it off

That sender looks like one used in a carburettor car. They have one fuel pick up that runs to the pump on the side of the motor .

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
Yes just plug it. That sender fits more than one model. On yours you plug/cap it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts