Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "some assembly required" GTV project is missing a couple of the steel channels that the door molding snaps into. I'm missing two pieces on the left/driver side. The pieces pictured are the right/passenger side pieces for reference. The longer piece is roughly 21.5". The shorter piece is roughly 12". The shorter piece probably doesn't matter if left vs. right side as it is straight. The longer piece has a curvature to it that would be unique to the left side...but I can probably re-bend the opposite side if I have to.

I'm an alfa novice but suspect these pieces are common to a range range of 105/115 GT/GTV coupes.

I'm located in Chicago, IL.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Alfa

The pieces are easily bent to conform. The nice part is you can use shorter pieces if need be to make the longer length. Since they are covered by the rubber even the most observant critique is not going to see the splice. Check Classicalfa too. I have a couple imperfect sets if that doesn't work.
Cheers, Jon

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jon - how imperfect? I've already sent CA a note. They sell the entire set...I inquired about individual pieces or used. I've got a new suspension heading over once the order is complete - a few items on backorder. I'd like to get SOMETHING accomplished on this re-assembly. I'm a minor part short in about 10 different areas....something that is needed for step A or B and can't do C thru P until I get it! Would like to find these in the USA soon vs. waiting a couple weeks for my next CA shipment.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The long channel that you are missing probably rusted away. Repeatedly I've seen end located nears the sill looking like they were some dog's favorite chew toy.

I have some heavily pitted but mostly intact steel ones that I could send along. They were removed from cars and replaced with ones made of black anodized aluminum. These aluminum channels are sold as kits by just about every Alfa Parts distributor. Classic Alfa sells them. Just two years ago I could buy these for $80. Advantages of aluminum channels are they lighter, and they don't rust.

As an aside, you might want to consider adhesive backed plastic like Teflon or UHMW instead of the called for caulk to isolate the channel from the painted door frame. The advantage of using an adhesive backed plastic, which you attach to the back of the channel, is that it allows you to repeatedly remove and install the channels during the door adjustment phase of the body work without having to deal with the messy caulk. I buy adhesive backed Teflon from McMaster-Carr and the UHMW from ePlastics. I've used different thickness over the years and found that thinner works better than thicker.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip Bob. I'll order some of the teflon. Luckily my car is rust free....but I got it after 3 owners in the past 5 years in various states of dissassembly. The last owner did a bare metal re-spray and then bailed for financial reasons. The interior and all the weather stripping were loose in either the trunk or interior....some labeled and some not. These simply went missing vs. rusted out. All the other pieces are in very nice shape. Luckily there have only been a handful of other pieces missing thus far. Definitely not the way to buy a car but being rust free I decided it was worth the gamble.

I'm also trying to track down the rubber J-channel that goes on various pieces of door/window trim to project the painted surfaces. For example the stainless trimp on the outside of the window opening and the chrome around the bottom of the rear vent window. I think it goes on the outside edge of the Alfa Romeo script sill plate also. The stuff I have found locally is more of a "C" vs. a "J" and is wider and thicker....it may work but won't think the extra rubber will look good and some of these pieces are so tricky to get right that a fraction of a MM is the difference between fitting correctly or having to tweak something. Have a source for this stuff?

I'm about to call Larry at APE also.

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
I would order from Classicalfa. Ship time is only a few days, about what USPS would take . Newer, better, rust free. Do the job right the first time.
Cheers, Jon

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Larry at APE has them. Thanks for the suggestion. While I understand the new AL ones might be better...my car is all original steel and rust free. The original 8 out of 10 pieces are in perfect condition without a spec of rust....the other two went AWOL somewhere during my car's last 5 years of dissasembly and previous owners (I'll probably have Larry on speed dial as I get closer to finishing it up). A quick spray with VHT epoxy and they are better then new. Since these are the factory fit channels and my doors, sills, rockers, etc are all original it should make fitting everything MUCH easier then starting over. It looks like there could be a fare amount of fiddling to make new ones fit - I'd rather only deal with 2 not original to the car vs. all 10. In this case - keeping the original parts on the car is doing the job right. I did order that teflon tape and all new SS screws as well. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts