1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
561 Posts
I called long distance on this car, a very car salesman like guy told me it had a salvage title on it from a front end collision. I wanted to ask for an inspection but the dufus salesman told me " its on the lift right now, and people who know a lot more about alfas than you are checking it out right now, i should offer 6500 right now if i want the car" and " this car will sell before the end of the auction" blah blah blah.You know this so called car salesman had such a condescending attitude and was pitching me so much bs, i had to strike them off my list as i cant do business with a holes like this. Now it may be a great car, or maybe not, but the dealership is full of car sharks who wont give a straight answer about anything.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love to "F" with used car salesman, I like to prove their ineptitude regarding cars. This same idiot was probably selling cell phones last week. I wonder if any bber in the area has seen it up close?

·
Registered
561 Posts
This guy was so dense he wouldnt know you are "F" with him, he would come right back at you with the hard sell after you just made him look like a schmuck.The buyer of this car needs to see it or have someone who knows alfas inspect it before they buy, so that any hidden surprises are disclosed.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let's see, I just sent a question through Ebay.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Y'know I just noticed, unless I'm mistake, the engine lift strap has been moved from 'default'.

Wonder if there's any documentation of a rebuild or something simular that would have been a potential reason the bracket shuffle. (not that I'm shopping mind you. Just sometimes these things catch my eye and make me curious)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Well they did get it running and have added the rust and rust bubble disclosure, which was not in the add when i called and no rust was mentioned in fact the salesman called it" real clean " body, but i sensed my bs detector ringing. 5 hours left someone should check it out and give us a heads up, i wont be bidding but interested in watching the action unfold with 29 bidders.Buyers do your homework.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I recognize the location in this photo and I'm only about 15 minutes from there. The auction only has three hours left, but I will go over there now and see what the car looks like up close and personal.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Took the tour just minutes ago. Sorry I couldn't get there sooner. We live in Washington State and we're back in town visiting.

This car is not a driver, not even for the worst masochist on the BB. It would, however, be just the ticket as the bones of a race car ( nice pun, eh?). It's also a candidate for a total -- and I do mean total -- rebuild. It's definitely not a car for the crusher.

It looks like it was repainted by a beginner about 20 years ago, probably in the same or close to same color as the original dark blue. All of that would have to come off because it was never on well in the first place.

The young salesman said the car was hit in the back a long time ago, leading to its salvage title. Looking at it from the trunk side, it didn't appear to have suffered bad damage in the first place. It's just that the repair wasn't done well. I could feel roughness under both rear tire wells, which is typical when the back end is folded toward the front.

The grill is held together with globs of epoxy or something similar. Could be bubble gum given the quality of the paint job. The nose doesn't look like it has ever been crumpled. The disclaimer is that the paint is so rough, that it's very difficult to tell what is under it. The sides don't look too bad -- not counting the awful paint -- given the same disclaimer as above.

Rust, what about rust? Again, the crazed, chipping, rough, wavey, faded paint makes it hard to tell the extent of it, but there are rust bubbles on the rocker panels and the backs of the front fenders, and minor bubbling around the windshield. My '67 GTV was a pampered one-owner California car when I got it and I have taken good care of it. It still got some minor bubbling at those same points. The jack points all looked good.

The spare tire well is rusted out and will need replacement. Old, yucky carpet would have to be torn out to see the floor panels. I wasn't about to crawl under the car in my Sunday best Wranglers.

The interior is every bit as bad as it looks in the photos. MacGyver would not be proud of how duct tape was used to hold the interior together. The headliner is shot. The dash is shot. The seats are shadows of their former selves. All the door panels are worthless. All the hardware inside the car will need replating or replacing.

I did not ask that the car be started. If you're going to buy this thing, mechanical issues will be the least of your worries. Again, it is a total restoration job or a race car, not something you can make do with while you gradually fix it up. Judging from what I saw "deferred maintenance" could be the car's real name.

Is that enough to go on? Hope so. I can't go back. Don't have time in our schedule and it hurts to see an Alfa in this condition. Someone buy it and make it well again.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Geez the guy i talked to didnt have his info correct, said it was the front that was damaged, not really surprising. Thanks for giving us the lowdown Gary, its about in the condition i figured total project. I was more interested in a good no excuses body shell and this isnt it.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
People bidding from afar I'll wager, doubt it will go through if it's bad as you say. At least I hope not. But wait, I just looked at the final bidder on Ebay! Zero feedback??? Could this be an inside shill bid??? ;) Does this mean the seller thinks it's worth more and will re list it soon???

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I think whoever bought it got the "you-know-what" up the "you-know-where". He said there was a silver dollar sized hole in the spare tire well, not an entire well req'd. as well as numerous other issues not described in the ad or shown in the pictures.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
. I wanted to ask for an inspection but the dufus salesman told me " its on the lift right now, and people who know a lot more about alfas than you are checking it out right now, i should offer 6500 right now if i want the car" and " this car will sell before the end of the auction" blah blah blah.
:rolleyes:Wasn't this guy, was it:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I think whoever bought it got the "you-know-what" up the "you-know-where". He said there was a silver dollar sized hole in the spare tire well, not an entire well req'd. as well as numerous other issues not described in the ad or shown in the pictures.
My wife also saw this poor GTV. When I noted the "silver dollar-sized hole" text in the ebay ad, she said I was being too picky. There was, indeed, a hole of that size. What the ad fails to mention is that there are other holes in the tire well. In fairness, perhaps the person who wrote the copy thought it was Alfa's way of draining the trunk in case the car was caught in a 100-year flood.

I was more interested in the text that said it runs and drives well. I should have asked who in that place was brave enough to find out. Also, I don't think the copy said the car stops well, which leads back to the bravery of the test driver, who most certainly wouldn't have been the 20-something salesman in rumpled white linen lounging pants, matching top, and flip-flops.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts