Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Partially stripped '74 GTV project - not for the faint hearted, but most of the repair panels are there.

The good -
Koni Reds
Ansa Exhaust
Good wheel arches & chassis
Very good black interior
Very good dash
Crane electronic ignition
Good used trunk lid

The bad - (Needs quite a bit of welding)
Trunk floor (have a new spare wheel well)
Rear scuttle (have a panel from a '71 GTV)
Front scuttle (have a panel from a '71 GTV)
Top of both quarter panels have holes (have a panel from a '71 GTV)
Rear panel & valance

Basically it was a project I was going to plod along with, but it looks like I may need to move shortly with work.......so it needs to go.

It also comes with spares from a '71 GTV.......motor, suspension, gauges, transmission, axle, wheels, grille & light surrounds, front clip.......if you're handy with a MIG it's a cheap way into GTV ownership! (That was my plan anyway!)

Looking for $3000 (the price is a little sliding depending on how much work I manage to get done prior to someone purchasing.....it started at $2.1K.....but I've invested quite a bit of time & materials in it) for everything......otherwise I'll probably look at shipping the car parts to our new place....

e-mail me for pics if you need them - car is located near Atlanta (GA) 30101....

Thanks

Neil

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apologies for not getting onto this sooner for everyone interested, I'll post the pictures that I've got. I'm going to try to get her out of the garage to take some more this weekend -

Front -

As collected -

Scuttle Rust -

Some of the repairs thus far -

Front (recent) -

Spares at work (just some of them) -

As I mentioned earlier, lots more panels etc come with the project......

Thanks

Neil

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya got a good gas tank ?
No, both gas tanks were no good unfortunately......

It's all still available....make me an offer - I plan on welding the rear scuttle up tomorrow (unless I get sidetracked.....) the move with work is impending.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Got a late start this morning......but cracked on......

Anyway, rear parcel shelf was slightly worse than expected - so I cut it out......also repaired some other grotty bits....

Got the "new" scuttle trimmed and welded in.....

Also set to work on the trunk return lips.......only got the RHS one done, luckily the donor panel didn't have an aerial hole.......looking pretty good if I do say so myself!

Going to try to get the LHS completed tomorrow night, the missus wandered past and said "Looking good, shame someone else is going to get the benefit"........maybe, maybe not.....

Anyway, a couple of people have asked for more pictures -

Rust - arches are all good -

Rear RHS lower quarter needs repair panel, I'd probably but a rear valance on also -

Front lower RHS rear fender needs either a repair panel of something fabbed up -

Trunk floor isn't pretty on LHS - I was planning a fuel cell, so would have welded up the fuel door and probably just fabbed a flat repair panel for the area.......ignore the potting compost.....

In all honesty the car isn't that bad - if you're handy with a MIG......I got most of the rear scuttle repaired today.....I might just carry on and try to finish the thing prior to the move......

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Think I might move this one to the restoration section shortly unless someone actually pulls the trigger........I might just manage to get her done in time......

And the top of the rear quarter repaired also.........might move onto the roof tomorrow.....

·
Super Moderator
12,289 Posts
Painting your lawnmower the same shade as your GTV was a nice touch!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Painting your lawnmower the same shade as your GTV was a nice touch!
Thanks - it's taken on the general demeanor of the garage......bits of rusty Alfa........picked a bit of Bondo off it tonight!

Hi,
Don't stop your doing great, I wish I had that talent.

Good Luck
Tony G.
Tony, thanks for the encouragement! Trying not to slow down - but long nights!

Keep up THIS pace and you can DRIVE it to your new home !
That brings me onto tonights progress......tried to get it started - rigged up an electric fuel pump, but no fuel at the injectors - need to break out the CD and find out how this Spica is supposed to work!

Yesterdays progress was limited to splicing in a new bit of the roof at the rear (still needs some grinding) -

And lunchtime at work was spent grinding the door back - I'd let the new metal in one night when I was working nightshift........was a little surreal welding a GTV door up for 3 hours at 4am........but hey ho progress is progress - the doors are tricky to patch - no wonder they get filled with Bondo!

Think I'll give the welding a rest for the week - concentrate on getting it started!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am interested in the 1971 drivetrain. I need a 1750 motor that is rebuildable. Shipping would be to Minnesota. Interested?
Ben,
I think it had a 2L conversion in it otherwise I would've been interested in selling it to you (it'd fund the MIG wire!)......it looks physically the same as the one in the 74.......don't know if you can tell from the pictures of it on the pallet in the "hot box"?
Regards
Neil

·
Registered
98 Posts
I can't tell from the side you've pictured. And I don't recall what to tell you to look for. I already have a 2 litre I could install. thanks anyway!

·
Premium Member
1965 Giulia TI/1998 Spider
3,964 Posts
best way is to check the engine serial number, but here's also a quick way to identify, look for these markings at the front of the engine:

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
best way is to check the engine serial number, but here's also a quick way to identify, look for these markings at the front of the engine:
Thanks Peter - I learnt something new today! Anyway - the PO was correct - it's a 2L according to the square with the line through it.........(although it would probably confuse things if someone had swapped heads!)
Regards
Neil

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Todays project.......(ordered a Spica belt yesterday!).......finish off the RH sill welding -

Let in some new metal at the bottom of the front wing/fender -

Cut the spare wheel well out (this is a before picture! :D)-

And stripped the radiator out, and the rest of the parts to access the Spica pump -

Managed to get the spare wheel well out, the missus reminded me that we don't live in a Factory Unit......I think the hammering and cutting is getting a little much! :eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wish i had a mate like you here in UK, just shout if you ever fancy a welding holiday in the English countryside.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wish i had a mate like you here in UK, just shout if you ever fancy a welding holiday in the English countryside.
Ha Ha, I only moved over to the US from Newcastle in 2009!.......Whereabouts in the UK are you?

Funny, I always seem to sit on projects until the last minute when I decide to crack on with them.....the last one was a '91 75 Cloverleaf.......that turned out very nicely, shame I had to sell it to move out here :rolleyes: .......still, I always think something else will turn up!

Best Regards

Neil

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.