Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I know that the large lights carry trade number 6014. Don't quote me on the small lights but I think they're trade number 4001.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I see them called fog lights a lot, but aren't they high beams? In my case they come on when I use high beams. What are they supposed to be? Maybe not a big deal, but I am looking to replace the inner lamps with amber versions, and fog lights obviously have different characteristics than high beams....I have seen amber fog lights offered for sale, but no high beams yet....

·
Registered
1 Posts
On the 2000 GTV, the outer lights (7" diameter) are the main beams, with dual filament (high and low beam). On Rest of World models, these were Carello units with replaceable bulbs. I believe these were "tungsten" bulbs, as the H4 was just becoming commercial in 1972. Lenses were always white, although French market cars got yellow bulbs, as required there. On USA models, the main beams were sealed beam units. Most of these have subsequently been replaced with H4 "sealed beam substitute" lamps. The inner lights (5-3/4" diameter) are the auxiliary lights, controlled by the switch on the console. On Rest of World models, these were driving lights, wired to operate only when the main beams are on high beam. I expect they were also Carellos with an H1 or H3 halogen bulb. The lenses were always white, although French market cars got yellow bulbs. US regs prohibited driving lights in 1972, so Alfa installed fog lights. These were white sealed beam fog lights, wired to operate only when the main beams are on low beam or off (parking lights on). Mine are marked with a "GE" logo in the middle and "FOG" at the bottom. I have seen a number of GTVs with yellow-lens sealed beam fog lights. Some people believe in yellow fog lights. With the prominence of the fog lights on a GTV, they just look strange to me.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,372 Posts
I see them called fog lights a lot, but aren't they high beams? In my case they come on when I use high beams. What are they supposed to be? Maybe not a big deal, but I am looking to replace the inner lamps with amber versions, and fog lights obviously have different characteristics than high beams....I have seen amber fog lights offered for sale, but no high beams yet....
If your inner lights come on with the high beams, someone has probably replaced them with driving lights and re-wired the circuit to match.

As others have alluded to fog lights and driving lights have very different characteristics - fogs have a very diffuse pattern and are aimed low, while driving lights have a sharp, focused pattern and are aimed high.

Joe

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
If your inner lights come on with the high beams, someone has probably replaced them with driving lights and re-wired the circuit to match.

As others have alluded to fog lights and driving lights have very different characteristics - fogs have a very diffuse pattern and are aimed low, while driving lights have a sharp, focused pattern and are aimed high.

Joe
thanks Joe. Mine is a Euro version, so looking at what Azurro says, they've probably always been driving lights. Now I need to find yellow driving lights!
Thanks

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Hi, Peter:

Have you found something that will fit the European bucket? The standard
3 prong US style headlights won't fit without modifying the wiring and/or bucket. The last time I checked, Classic Alfa in the UK had replacement inner Euro style headlights for about $60US ea. Those aren't Pep-Boys prices! :)

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Hi, Peter:

Have you found something that will fit the European bucket? The standard
3 prong US style headlights won't fit without modifying the wiring and/or bucket. The last time I checked, Classic Alfa in the UK had replacement inner Euro style headlights for about $60US ea. Those aren't Pep-Boys prices! :)
have not found anything. Thanks for mentioning that US versions won't work!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts