Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I finally decided to freshen up the interior of my 74 GTV, and my first project has already got me stumped. I'm trying to get the central console out of my car - seats are currently out, and I've detached all the screws and wires going to the central console, but I just can't seem to wiggle the blasted thing out of there. Do I need to pull the upper dash to get the console out?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!

-Chris

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I did a refresh of my console a couple of months ago. You don't have to remove the dash. The console comes out by pulling it straight back-it hangs up on the e-brake handle, the gearshift, and the dash simultaneously. You can push the dash up slightly to get a bit of clearance. With the brake lever down and some determined wiggling it will come out. Patience is good! Don't force anything too brutally.

·
Registered
240 Posts
right....two horizontal snap levers on mine, in addition to the screws in the ashtray area, and the single screw at the center of the rear of the console into the floor tunnel. IIRC.

The console is pretty easy to restore.... new vinyl, new veneer kit from Centerline.... Here's mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
One thing I did was use the leads for the lighter and attached a 12V accessory socket on the passenger side of the console up close to the dash-like right below your AC knob. Mostly for my good radar detector, also little tire pump, phone charger, etc.
My vinyl and veneer was pristine and only needed a little rejuvenation. I cleaned connections and lubed switches.
Chris-mine sort of came out up in the rear and down in front.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeff, thanks for the tips on the determined wiggling...I was hesitant to put too much force into it at first, but after reading your reply I went out and finally worked the console out. Really like the idea of adding an accessory socket with the lighter leads...

jf308 - yours came out extremely well. You've got a beautiful interior there, good inspiration for me. Oddly, my console was only held in by the single screw at the back of the console, so I might be missing a few in the ashtray area (my ashtray just pops in and out).

As you can see in the picture, my console has a long way to go. The vinyl is pretty beat up and the plastic is cracked in several places...going to pick up some plastifix to see if that will do the job...

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm attaching the below images as references. The shift boot is stapled directly on a flimsy black plastic piece. That sits below the console/veneer, and then I have a chrome piece with several pins (you can see the holes in the shift boot) that sits above the console/veneer and sandwiches the whole thing together.

My immediate problem is finding replacements for the little metal tabs that locked onto the chrome pins...those things were nearly impossible to remove, and I doubt I'll be able to salvage them when it comes to putting this all back together.

Any other issues with this particular combination that you can think of? Appreciate your thoughts on all this!

-Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I restapled mine right back onto the plastic piece. The little clips just need to be flattened out somewhat and can be reused. I think I just tapped them back on using a skinny socket as a driver.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
You can buy those little tabs (don't know what they're called in english) at every automotive shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts