Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the process of replacing the dash in my 1974 GTV 2000. I need some help identifying some wires as well as input/opinions on what to reinstall and what to leave off.

1. Fasten Seatbelt Light: The new dash does not have an opening for this light. The light is inoperable anyway, so I was thinking about not reinstalling it, but I’d like y’alls opinion on that.

2. Radio: That is a period radio that works. I never use it and would just assume have the dash clean and not reinstall it. But again..I’d like opinions on this. The new dash does not have an opening for the radio, I would have to cut it in as well.

3. Knob with wiring not connected: I’ll reinstall this, but I found it unconnected. What’s it for and what does it connect to?

4. Hazard Light: This is the rectangular opening in the old dash. The new dash doesn’t have an opening for it. Should I cut this in or leave it out. It was not functioning anyway (though the flashers to work).

5. Hazard Button: I’ll cut this in and install it as it worked. The metal is actually already cut for it, just need to cut the vinyl/rubber.

6. Defroster button: Know any good sources for replacing this button. It works, but it’s faded.

7. Hand Throttle: What does this switch do that’s associated with the hand throttle.

8. Yellow Wires: What do this go to?

9. Black Wires: These originate from the ignition switch. What do these go to.

Picture with dash removed. You can see the unidentified yellow wires and the black wire on the bottom left of the picture.

10. No picture with this, but I also need advice on the glove box. When I removed it to install on the new dash, the bottom doesn’t fit well. Turns out it’s warped and won’t sit flat with the bottom of the door/opening. Is this item easily sourced or do I need to figure out a way to heat it and reshape it to fit properly.

For reference this GTV is in great condition and is a very high end driver. Solid body and beautiful paint. The only blemish was the cracked (and poorly repaired) dash. All of the instruments in the cluster work great (other than speedo reading about 10% off).

Thanks in advance for the help!

David

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I'll take a stab at a few of these.

#8 - The yellow wires, and the white/black wires, go on the #3 knob. This knob is the dimmer rheostat for the hazard, wipe, def and heater panel lights.
The 2-fuse fusebox. Mounts just to the left of the main fusebox and contains the fuelpump and fog light fuses.
#7 - the switch on the hand throttle lights a warning light on the gauge cluster (dead center actually) when the throttle is engaged.
#9 - the black wires are for the key reminder buzzer.

If you'd like a wiring diagram, please PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just bumping this back up. I'd love some input on the dash cutouts (for fasten seat belt light, radio and hazard light).

Cheers,

David

·
Registered
278 Posts
First of all, great car and i really appreciate you agonizing over these details. You will be (are) a good caretaker of these coool coupe's.
#1 I redid my dash (not to your level) but left the non functioning seatbelt light because it adds charm and character. But i would not cut the dash for it in your situation.
#2 For me i think the dashes look a bit naked without a period radio but again i would have a hard time cutting for one because they really are usless once underway. On long trips i will use my headphones for music. A rare occurrence because i have yet to tire of the engine sound.
#3-6 I would re-attach and wire all those.
#7-9 Jim mentioned these so i will defer to the master
#10 Not sure exactly whats going on there but "good luck with that" Ha Ha!!
What are you doing for the wood?
Of course just an opinion....
Best of luck,
Michael

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Michael,

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. I’m really struggle with the thought of cutting up a new dash!

I purchased a veneer kit along with the dash. I’m reusing the chrome trip. I also purchased veneer for the console, so it will all match.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Only US spec cars had the fasten seat belt light which would likely explain that not being cut out. No cars had the radio cutout from factory, it was done by importer/distributor/dealer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would ignore the radio and the fasten seatbelt sign. Pics below is the same car:

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts