Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Did a bit of searching but may have missed it...

What should the compression be on a '74 Spider at sea level?

The one I'm buying was just tested and came back at 175-180 across the board.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,420 Posts
The one I'm buying was just tested and came back at 175-180 across the board.
That is healthy for a car with stock compression (9:1) pistons, you should be pleased.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! What is the "healthy" range for a '74 anyway?

Thanks again,

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sorry that I have not got back before this. I am now out of work, things have been tough.
Sebring is a good shop. I bought an oil filter there for my spider a few years ago on a Sat. The older gent(late 60s) behind the counter said that he used to work on Alfas back in the 70s. He knew all about the Spica system, in fact also knew Wes Ingrim back when he had a auto repair shop in Madera. He said that he had all the Spica repair tools as well. I did not get his name and when I went back a few months later for some spark plugs, he was not there and no one knew who I was talking about when I asked about him. Darn

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Thanks guys! What is the "healthy" range for a '74 anyway?

Thanks again,
140-150 is ok.
When you're getting down to 120, then it's getting pretty weak. What's also important is how the compression builds. You should get 2-3 very good boosts at first, then more slow building to the top.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,560 Posts
good numbers, first Alfa? photos!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope second alfa of my own. Sold my '84 last year. I grew up on Alfas though as my dad drove spiders every day of the year growing up in Chicago.

As for pics - check this thread - http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/175532-looks-like-im-alfa-owner-again.html

I even called Mike Besic today for some tips with the car. He told me to add 5-10oz of Marvel Mystery Oil to each fill up to keep the pump in good shape.

Thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Why should I hold the throttle full open during the compression checks?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
^ To let air in !

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks ARwrench. Now it sounds like a realy dumb question that I just asked. I was only thinking compression stroke. Duh. :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts