Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
I posted the post about the interior to explain to others why it would have a later interior. Also posted the years the different colors were available.

Your dash and interior are out of an 82 to 85 spider.

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Thanks Jim, I've been picking up a lot of what I need, mostly new; dash, console etc. Trying to decide on carpet although I think the back area will be the rubber matting they had. Mostly to avoid the fading issue I've had in the past.
I would use rubber mats throughout like the early 70's Spiders came with.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Gds102's 73 or whatever

One thing I will say is "I'm looking forward to the completion of this project." IMHO, it's a 73, look @ the nomenclature on engine firewall # (11502). maybe that was changed too, I dunno?
Jay, as far as the blue washer/wiper reservoir bag, my 73 came w/injection molded bottle, no indication of modifications. And Jay, I agree w/your comment on " it looks 76-ish" but the slight indications say "S2" not an "S2a"(same console)
I lived in CA during a part of the 70's so I'm curious Jay, when was California more forgiving? You're a better man than I to still live in CA. :grin2:haha

·
Super Moderator
9,943 Posts
I lived in CA during a part of the 70's so I'm curious Jay, when was California more forgiving?
Gosh, California is very forgiving in certain areas:

- You can drive a hot rod with no fenders.
- Emissions inspections not required for pre-1975 cars
- No "safety" inspections - misaligned headlights, non working brake lights? Who cares?

But yea, they're pretty un-forgiving about emissions for post-'74 cars. Then too, our air quality is a lot better than it was in the 70's.

s far as the blue washer/wiper reservoir bag, my 73 came w/injection molded bottle, no indication of modifications.
OK, I guess that makes sense. Changing the firewall, or adding the bracket to hold the molded bottle would have been major modifications to a '73 tub.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't want to step on anyone's toes. My goal is to make sure facts are provided, that's it. If anyone feels I've made a mistake, please feel free to comment. I do not take offense and if I am mistaken, I will learn something - a good thing, right. So here goes:

1. The underhood photo looks just like my 1974, but it has dual Webers vs my car, which has the original SPICA. It looks similar to my 1980, but there's a difference. My 1980 has the battery in the trunk and the air cleaner on the left side. The original battery hold down looks to be missing from this car - I'm not a fan of the original, as it's very close to the battery terminals.
2. The 1971 style rear bumper fits tighter to the body than the 1973 style. The 1971 has license plate lights on the bumper. The 1973 has license plate lights mounted next to the plate and has rectangle rubber pieces on the bumper.
3. The 1971 front bumper does not have the rectangle rubber pieces, where the 1973 does. I'm not sure if the 1973 has the grille guard - the 1974 does.
4. Console and dash in blue is not original to 1973, therefore was added by a previous owner. It's not the same as my 1980, which has a digital clock and a green blower motor switch. The round hazard button puts this at a 1979 or older.
5. Replacement speedo is an 85mph version with those lines after 55 mph (same one my 1980 and 1983 Spiders have). 1973 had the 140 mph speedo.
6. Replacement tach has those lines after 5600 rpm vs original had no lines.
7. 1982 was the last year of those big, heavy rubber bumpers. 1975 was the first year and they were on the US cars, where the Eurpoean cars had the stainless steel bumpers. 1983 had the new bumpers with the larger Alfa Grille and separate front right/left bumpers. Front bumper swept around to front wheel well. New rear bumper that started at back of rear wheel well and wrapped around the back of the car. Top of bumpers in metal and faces in black. Big rubber 3 piece spoiler, new for 1983. New front air dam. New tail lights too. Designated S3 version.
8. 1982 car came with the new side mirrors (painted to match with black surround). This car has the 1982 and up mirrors.
9. CA emissions testing is required on 1976 and newer cars. 1975 and older are exempt from testing, however IF a 1975 and older car is modified (original CA smog equipment is removed), the DMV can refuse to register the car. I don't know anyone who this has happened to, but it's in the California Vehicle Code.
10. Many states require a safety inspection (brakes, lights, horn, tires, etc) or registration/stickers are not provided. CA does not, however it does only when the vehicle has been rebuilt or is a salvaged car. A brake and light test is required and must be done at a state approved shop.
11. Rules in CA are very lax, unless enough complaints are received by the government. The state officials deem that "safeguards" are required and stringent laws are passed - it goes from the "Wild West" to "over restricted".

This Alfa is a hodge podge of a few Alfa Spiders. Dash, console and seats from a mid-late 70's Spider (my guess), bumpers from a 1975-82 Spider, body is a 1973 and mirrors from a 1982 and up Spider. The seat looks to be leather vs vinyl.

That's it, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just noticed one other thing. On the replacement dash, the tach does not have the funny lines after 5,600 rpm. The bezels look soft around the edges - maybe plastic vs metal? The four jeweled lights near the gauges are missing. The lower part of the console looks like it's a replica of a 1971 with the three switches in a row. The 1973 should have a console like the one in the car, but in black. It should have the four warning lights and the round hazard button to the left.

And yes, the front end if from an S3.

The paint in the engine compartment looks like my 1983 Azzuro Celeste Metallic AR 365.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Autobroker, yep, agree with pretty much everything you've stated and appreciate your input! It is indeed a mix of a variety of models. Would have been a Spica originally with the "iniezione" badge on the back as all N. American models were. The replacement dash is a work in progress, I have since got a hold of a km only euro speedo, the four jeweled lights, benzina, acqua and olio gauges to keep with the Italian look. The car will end up as a euro spec when I'm done (only round front side markers, carello headlight covers, etc.) Figure I'm going to be in it for quite a bit so might as well go big!

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Any progress?

Just checking in to see if you've had progress on your project?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts