Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always had a thing for Alfa Spiders ever since a friend pulled up in his Uncle's brand new '82. Bought my first one in 1990 - an 88 Graduate that I still have. The more I learned about them, the more I wanted a series 2. Finally, end January I found one at a good price but needing TLC. So, here it is and so it begins! A few shots of how she (Nonna) came. Note the S3 nose (pointed out by another member which I didn't catch) and the later S2 bumpers...

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Always had a thing for Alfa Spiders ever since a friend pulled up in his Uncle's brand new '82. Bought my first one in 1990 - an 88 Graduate that I still have. The more I learned about them, the more I wanted a series 2. Finally, end January I found one at a good price but needing TLC. So, here it is and so it begins! A few shots of how she (Nonna) came. Note the S3 nose (pointed out by another member which I didn't catch) and the later S2 bumpers...
Oops! Bought first one in 2000, yeah, it's Monday!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That looks like the car that was for sale in Calgary for a while. I'm sure it will be wonderful when you are done with it.

Cheers,
I am in Calgary so probably the same one as they don't come up often. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Graham

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
As you probably know the 73/74 are suppose to to have the Stainless bumpers with the bumperettes. Which do stick out a little further then the 71/72 bumpers.

I don't think the 73/74 bumpers look bad. I actually think they have a little more charcter then the 71/72 bumpers. Alfa did a better job with the federal mandate on bumpers then all the other imports combined.

But I'm probably biased as my first Alfa was a 73 Spider.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As you probably know the 73/74 are suppose to to have the Stainless bumpers with the bumperettes. Which do stick out a little further then the 71/72 bumpers.

I don't think the 73/74 bumpers look bad. I actually think they have a little more charcter then the 71/72 bumpers. Alfa did a better job with the federal mandate on bumpers then all the other imports combined.

But I'm probably biased as my first Alfa was a 73 Spider.
Hi Jim, yes, I understand the US spec versions had the bumperettes however haven't seen them on any of the replacement bumpers. That being said, it will end up being more of a Euro spec by the time I'm finished (rear side markers gone, front to round ones, license lights on bumper etc) so these bumpers will fit the look.

·
Super Moderator
9,981 Posts
The title of this thread is "73 Spider Veloce", but the car pictured is clearly a later model. I presume you know that. Backdating a big-bumper car to early 70's specs is a fine endeavor - you have my support. But if Calgary has safety or emissions inspections, your local officials may not offer the same encouragement.

So make sure you are building a car that can pass local inspections before putting too much into modifying it.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Hi there Jay, or others I guess. What gives this car away as clearly a later model? Battery in the engine bay and an original SS rear bumper with rubber blocks (though painted over in black) would seem to coincide with 73. Apart from looking at the door jam tag or registration papers, where does it indicate later model. At some point in it's past it's had the correct front bumpers/sheet metal changed.

Cheers,

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is a 73, however Frankenalfa. I'm guessing an accident at some point and probably cheaper to put on a used s3 nose and rubber bumpers. A lot of modifications have been done over the years to this. It will be a project getting it back in order but looking forward to the challenge!

·
Super Moderator
9,981 Posts
Hi there Jay, or others I guess. What gives this car away as clearly a later model? Battery in the engine bay and an original SS rear bumper with rubber blocks (though painted over in black) would seem to coincide with 73.
Gee, a lot of things look more 1976-ish than 1973. For example, the console and windshield wiper fluid bottle (wouldn't it have been a blue bag in '73?):

But I have to admit that the battery in the engine compartment does indicate 1973.

Gds102 said it was a frankenalfa, and I guess he's right! My point was less to identify the exact year of every component and more to caution him not to invest a fortune building a car that he'd have trouble registering in certain jurisdictions (such as my home state). But most likely, Alberta is more forgiving than California.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gee, a lot of things look more 1976-ish than 1973. For example, the console and windshield wiper fluid bottle (wouldn't it have been a blue bag in '73?):

But I have to admit that the battery in the engine compartment does indicate 1973.

Gds102 said it was a frankenalfa, and I guess he's right! My point was less to identify the exact year of every component and more to caution him not to invest a fortune building a car that he'd have trouble registering in certain jurisdictions (such as my home state). But most likely, Alberta is more forgiving than California.
Right you are! To look at it, someone's gone to a lot of trouble to make it look '78ish (why, I don't know!). I do appreciate comments, concerns etc (good or bad), that's what makes this blog so useful. The wiper bag for instance, didn't know it would have been different. Luckily, here in Alberta, the regulations for vehicles are quite forgiving. Veh is already registered and insured with no inspection required.

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Cheapest way to a better interior is to buy or get one out of a later Spider. In this case it would be 1982 to 1985 which is the years they had blue, tan, maroon and black.

The 73/74 front bumpers are made from the euro style bumpers. If might have all the other pieces you need if you want to go with the correct style.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cheapest way to a better interior is to buy or get one out of a later Spider. In this case it would be 1982 to 1985 which is the years they had blue, tan, maroon and black.

The 73/74 front bumpers are made from the euro style bumpers. If might have all the other pieces you need if you want to go with the correct style.
Thanks Jim, I've been picking up a lot of what I need, mostly new; dash, console etc. Trying to decide on carpet although I think the back area will be the rubber matting they had. Mostly to avoid the fading issue I've had in the past.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts