Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
yep but the rollers are steel (at least the ones on mine were). Another trick is to try to unload the seat (ie pull it up) and see if you can get some movement. I spent about a day on the spider seats (each) when I got it on this exact issue. Root cause was the seat-to-upper-rail bolt had backed out and was fouling on the rail-to-body bolt with the roller playing an unhelpful part in the whole circus.

Theer are two ball bearings captivated in the rails on each side of the seat and floor rail. A total of four on each rail of the seat . They are supposed to be "floating" in there and will reduce friction when moving the rails. In a perfect world there is enough lube in there to keep the balls moving and from getting wedged between the seat rail and the floor rail. I can visualize then a bearing was shoved all the way back and at the tail of the floor rail it jammed tight with the seat rail above it . This would create a binding between the lower floor rail, the ball, and the upper seat rail.at the rear end..so much that the wedging of these three things will not allow any movement. Like I said .. a small boy with strong legs braced against the soft top scuttle and UMPH while you are wiggling wills break it loose. Legs have the strength of atlas .. Arms bot so much.. The next best thing is leverage.. Nothing trumps leverage.. Put a block of wood behind the seat on the floor Assuming there is a cross beam in the floor to hold it and a long 2x4 against the seat vertically and pry and pray. It's the ball that is locking it in place, If the ball got hung up in crud it made up it's mind to stay in place when the seat got pushed back and it had no where to go other that to create a bind between it and the upper and lower rails.
003.JPG

·
Registered
640 Posts
I had mine apart a few weeks ago. Sorry to say there are no pictures.
There are 4 steel ball bearings (7MM). There are two on each side of the rail for a total of 4 per slide. Easy to get from someone on Ebay. There is a plastic spacer to keep them apart (so they don't end up together at the end of the slide. )
The spacer is about the same diameter as the ball bearings, about 10" long. these (balls and spacer) ride along a groove built into both major parts of the slide system. They are kept in the assemble by bent over tabs on the ends of slides. After I took the slides off the seat a couple of balls went sailing across the floor as I was in inspecting them. Easy to happen.

After ordering more balls it took awhile to figure out how to get the whole assemble together. It entails bending the tabs mentioned above. Putting the slide assemble in a vise to keep it level helps a lot.

As to getting the seats out of the car. There is a possibility that the spacer is missing. More then likely, It's just crud. The seats are held to the sliders by welded in captive nuts on the bottom of the seat. You may have to put a lever under the seat and lift. You will have to repair the seat pans. That would be easier then welding in the seat supports to the floor. If you do go the "lever" thing, I would remove the backs of the seats first. Keep from bending the hinge
attachment points.

NB. Levers are a great invention. There was a guy really a long time ago
( point of interest: this guy did not wear underwear) who said "If you give me a lever long enough , I could more the Earth. 💪

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Different design than my 71. My car has no ball bearings, but does have two cylinders per slide that roll in the space between upper and lower, with no spacer but a bent “stop” that keeps them separated.

anywho keep at it. If, at the end, you can’t get it off, you might consider drilling a hole in the floor pan below the mounting screw bracket — and drilling it out from below. Could also bend the seat pan as well. If at all possible, don’t bend the mounting tab if it’s on pass side inboard. Very much a pain to relocate.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Last time I couldn't slide the seat forward the side plating from the backrest got hung up on the bolt from the seatbelt, the part that is attached to the driveshaft tunnel, the bolt was sticking out too far and kept the seat from sliding forward.

·
Registered
325 Posts
this problem also recently popped up on the Dutch Alfa forum, somebody said something about the small rod being broken that is between the latch and the lever, here's the picture that shows what they mean :

2020-05-11-11-43-12-screen-shot-2019-06-06-at-7-08-53-pm-jpg-1570508-700-423.png

21 - 28 of 28 Posts