Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove my passenger seat but to acsess the back bolts I need to slide the seat forward but the seat rail is stuck. The unlocking mechanism seems like it's working but I'm not 100% sure on that. The seat is all the way back so trying the hammer the rail forwards isn't possible. I've tried my best to inspect the rails and it seems like there not jammed.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
There might be a STOP that looks like a flat metal piece at the front of one of the rails with a 90 degree leg on it. It might be limiting your forward travel. It is attached by one of the front rail bolts.. Sometimes they are in the back end. You might have to undo one of the fronts with that limiter and remove it...When you get it all apart use a 8mm Allen bolt and you might have to spin it on grinder a few hairs to get it inside the rail. Been there done that.. Always use silver thread anti-seize when putting it back.

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There might be a STOP that looks like a flat metal piece at the front of one of the rails with a 90 degree leg on it. It might be limiting your forward travel. It is attached by one of the front rail bolts.. Sometimes they are in the back end. You might have to undo one of the fronts with that limiter and remove it...When you get it all apart use a 8mm Allen bolt and you might have to spin it on grinder a few hairs to get it inside the rail. Been there done that.. Always use silver thread anti-seize when putting it back.
Alas I wish it were that easy. There's no stopper on either side. The seat is a solid inch and half behind those bolts anyways. I cant feel or see the back bolts so is it possible the seat got pushed too far back and caught on one of those tabs?

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
So your seat is LOCKEd in the back position... This is going take a man a and a 2 small boys
005.JPG
006.JPG
.. You are going to have to have someone lift on the adjustment lever while another person grabs the seat bottom and wigglles it side to side while a small boy pushes it forward from behind the seat..

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So your seat is LOCKEd in the back position... This is going take a man a and a 2 small boys View attachment 1630857 View attachment 1630858 .. You are going to have to have someone lift on the adjustment lever while another person grabs the seat bottom and wigglles it side to side while a small boy pushes it forward from behind the seat..
What's the problem this fixes? Sounds like you know the problem and I dont. Would you mind elaborating.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
What's the problem this fixes? Sounds like you know the problem and I dont. Would you mind elaborating.
you said its stuck all the way back "I need to remove my passenger seat but to acsess the back bolts I need to slide the seat forward but the seat rail is stuck." You won't get the SEAT OUT IF YOU CAN'T MOVE IT.

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you said its stuck all the way back "I need to remove my passenger seat but to acsess the back bolts I need to slide the seat forward but the seat rail is stuck."
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. What's the root problem of my seats not sliding and what does this method do to overcome that.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,139 Posts
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. What's the root problem of my seats not sliding and what does this method do to overcome that.
The root problem is more than likely a wee bit of corrosion.

So your seat is LOCKEd in the back position... This is going take a man a and a 2 small boys View attachment 1630857 View attachment 1630858 .. You are going to have to have someone lift on the adjustment lever while another person grabs the seat bottom and wigglles it side to side while a small boy pushes it forward from behind the seat..
I think I peed my pants

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
No, the root problem is that one of the bolts that goes up into the seat, from the top sliding rail, has loosened and fell down, and is now interfering with one of the bottom bolts — mechanical interference . Sometimes it’s a coin but assuming you get it off, you will see it. Shine a light from the front, down the rail and also from the rear. If it is well and truly stuck (ie there is ZERO movement) then it’s a full on jam. Work it back and forth until you can free it. It’s a hassle but perseverance and patience wins the day. Do not hammer on it unless you don’t mind welding new seat stops in place, etc.

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, the root problem is that one of the bolts that goes up into the seat, from the top sliding rail, has loosened and fell down, and is now interfering with one of the bottom bolts — mechanical interference . Sometimes it’s a coin but assuming you get it off, you will see it. Shine a light from the front, down the rail and also from the rear. If it is well and truly stuck (ie there is ZERO movement) then it’s a full on jam. Work it back and forth until you can free it. It’s a hassle but perseverance and patience wins the day. Do not hammer on it unless you don’t mind welding new seat stops in place, etc.
That sounds right. The left side slider feels rock solid while the digit feels free so a loose bolt or coin makes sense. I'll play with a magnet and wire to see if I can dislodge it. How would you suggest that I work it forward and backwards without a hammer.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Try to fish a coat hanger wire or something like that down the “U” of the slider . See what you hit, wiggle jiggle etc

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,585 Posts
If it's corrosion then try spraying some PB Blaster into the tracks. Then sit on it and work it back and forth.

I believe in the Spider there are a few round wooden dowels in the track. So if something falls into the track the wheel can't roll. With enough lube and force they will slide. You might flat spot the roller but if that's what it takes to get it out you can replace it.

Good luck. Been there, it's not fun.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
yep but the rollers are steel (at least the ones on mine were). Another trick is to try to unload the seat (ie pull it up) and see if you can get some movement. I spent about a day on the spider seats (each) when I got it on this exact issue. Root cause was the seat-to-upper-rail bolt had backed out and was fouling on the rail-to-body bolt with the roller playing an unhelpful part in the whole circus.

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update here is a picture of the outside rail. Is this a roller? The other side seems to be free of loose items. I cant see any backed out bolts either. It's more then likely the seats have come out before so is there anything some one could have done to cause this?

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
is it completely jammed ; ie wont budge at all? I presume you have sprayed a stream of wd40 or PB blaster or something down that channel, and from the back of the channel as well, and along the top?

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
is it completely jammed ; ie wont budge at all? I presume you have sprayed a stream of wd40 or PB blaster or something down that channel, and from the back of the channel as well, and along the top?
Yep rock solid. There's no movement or wiggling in it. I've blasted it with wd40 a couple of times.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Gotta be something fouling inside or outside. Are you sure the handle is pulling the tang up and out of the way so the slide can move?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Sounds as if it's just stuck. Have someone sit in it with the seat at a 45 degree angle while holding the latch down and try using a piece of wood between the rear of the seat frame and the "step" of the body to pry it forward.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts