Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
86 Veloce
764 Posts
Just received my Bosch gear reduction starter. Other seemed to work fine but while the engine/ttanny is out might as well, I hear they are a pain in the *** while in the car. Starter is slightly shorter than the original on my '86....

·
Premium Member
13,719 Posts
The starter swap is not difficult on an S2 car with Webers when you have the lighter version that does not need the support bracket. I think that the FI cars may have more stuff in the way.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I thought i would close out this thread with a happy report.. I installed the Performatek Denso reduction starter in about 20 minutes. Wasperformance is the source but Andy Kress deserves the credit for walking them through some design mods as they produce for applications in cars from A to Z. There was an issue that I called their attention to. The unit is machined to perfection however they supplied the two flanking bolts to the shoulder bolt (which was threaded on the unit perfectly) as full threaded bolts that slip into the threads of the unit from the bellhousing. These two bolts were barely to ASTM spec and wobbled in the threads... they just weren't up to the standard the unit deserved and more precision in this $2 item was required. Wasp was really appreciative for me pointing this out and they agreed they would be more careful when they ordered these bolts and thanked me for my comment. I bought some Fastenal bolts that have a bare shank and fit better that the other ones,, Package of 3 was $3.50 and the part # is 2138619
Grade 8.8 M8 x 1.25 x 40. They aren't swiss watch quality but a helluva lot better. I suspect Wasp will be swapping out their stock by the time this post goes in.
Anyway the starter is a pure giant step in spinning the motor and starting the car as it is supposed to start without any hesitation or sloooooowwww " Pleze-don't- try- to- start me" messaging coming from under the hood when you twist the key on the old starter.. I highly endorse this upgrade. Thanks for all the chatter and the advice on tools . You guys are terrific.and a special tip of the hat to Jim G..and 73 AlfaOEMOwner who convinced me to go this way.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts