Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping perhaps this is an issue that more experienced owners have encountered. I have replaced the short fuel line between the fuel pump and the fuel filter in my 73 Spider at least 4 times in the last 2 years. I have used the correct sized fuel line, and in a matter of months it will begin weeping and dripping at the clamp on the fuel pump, with the rubber hose cracked and checked ( today it developed an 1/8" split and left me stranded). Is a high pressure or fabric covered fuel line required? The fuel pump has some movement, which I presume is by design...should it be solidly attached to mounting point allowing for no movement or vibration? I'm stumped! This has been the only issue I've had on a perfect running little car.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
did someone cut the old hose off with a knife and groove the hose barb leaving a route out?

If after just a couple months the hose is cracking, checking, splitting, is it very old - new hose? or it is too small ID? Fuel hose should hold up to fuel better than that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi baileydog.

I changed mine last year but not because of dripping, I only tried to solve the gasoline smell issue that seems to be the norm.

I bought the tube at highwoodalfa, I suppose that all the specialized suppliers have quality material but just in case it helps.

Just another advice, cut it with a sharp, strong scissor, like those of cutting branches of trees, they produce a clean cut, maybe, as 86spider points out maybe that's your problem.

BR

·
Administrator
17,996 Posts
What type of hose clamps did you use? A proper FI hose clamp will give 360 degrees clamping. A hardware store screw drive clamp can squash the hose but not give good sealing.

Does your gasoline have a high ethanol content? That can cause the early demise of fuel hoses not made with ethanol resistant materials.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
If I were to guess, I would say your filter isn't able to handle the pressure, causing what amounts to a minor blockage, stressing the hose. You can't just get a generic fuel filter and put it after the fuel pump, the SPICA requires higher fuel pressures than normal. I would also guess that after you get a proper Alfa fuel filter from IAP or elsewhere, you'll notice a little bit more throw-you-back-in-your-seat-oh-man-this-is-fun when the pedal touches floor.

Again, I am just guessing.

BTW, I also have a '73 Spider, just got it on the road last weekend after it sat for 3 years.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just curious, the way you describe your set up is with the filter after the pump. My filter is in between the fuel tank and the pump. Then the cannister filter is between the pump and the Spica injector. Do you have your filter in the wrong place, or do I? I think the filter goes between the tank and the pump to ensure that no tank grunge gets to the pump. Opinions?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
The rear filter should be between the tank and the pump. You can get one at NAPA; it's a Wix filter 33299, NAPA part number 3299.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
High pressure line is not required. That's on the suction side of the system anyway. The main supply fuel pump is mounted on slightly flexible mounting, but that shouldn't cause premature hose failure.

Put some new hose on there and change the clamps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for great suggestions...I'll tear into it this weekend. My car is definitely ordered tank to fuel pump to fuel filter, and based on the brackets and plumbing upstream, it looks like it came that way from the factory. Maybe I'll post a picture of the fix to see if that gives any additional clues. Thanks again to all.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Is there a Wix or NAPA number for the front cannister filter?
I don't know, but I'd like to know, if anyone has the answer. I vaguely seem to remember reading a Baldwin number at some point in the past.

My car is definitely ordered tank to fuel pump to fuel filter, and based on the brackets and plumbing upstream, it looks like it came that way from the factory. Maybe I'll post a picture of the fix to see if that gives any additional clues.
probably a long shot, but is it possible that someone put the pump in the filter's mount and vice versa? The pump and filter are both round, and not all that different in size. Pics would be good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts