Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occasionally, I will return to my parked car and see my lights flashing and the emergency flasher button is popped out. Sometimes I'm only gone for a couple minutes. This happens maybe 5% of the time.
I can understand the flashing being caused by a short, but what would make the flasher button pop out?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,688 Posts
The little stop on the internal track breaks, and it pops out and stays in the on position. There is in theory a way to fix, but it's not 100%, and you have to take the whole thing apart. Time to buy another one, sounds like.
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
10,592 Posts
The little stop on the internal track breaks, and it pops out and stays in the on position. There is in theory a way to fix, but it's not 100%, and you have to take the whole thing apart. Time to buy another one, sounds like.
Yes, agree 100%. Let me add that these switches are notoriously unreliable - the tangs that hold the button in are under tension from the spring, and wear out from the vibration of driving. Even if you never use your emergency flashers, they can go. Mine usually die when the car is parked for an extended period, resulting in a dead battery.

Unfortunately, these switches are expensive too!

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
I fixed mine about 20 years ago and have never had any trouble with it since. Problem is - 20 years - so I can't really remember much detail about how I fixed it. I recall I made a sketch, maybe I can dig it up but I think if you take it apart the way to fix it is fairly apparent. I think you file some plastic away to give the catch a better grip or something like that.

I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After I read the two previous replies, I was thinking of trying just that.
If you can find it in short order, then great. Otherwise, I'll figure it out.
Thanks Paul.

Neil

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Ha, ha yup I remember that posting because it's mine and that's my sketch. A perfect example of how far we'd go back then to save thirty bucks!

It's a pretty simple fix. Like I said, you'll see what needs to be done once you get it apart. Of course that plastic is another 20 or 30 years older than it was when we did these fixes back then so there's no guarantee but I think you'll be okay.

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
Ha, ha yup I remember that posting because it's mine and that's my sketch. A perfect example of how far we'd go back then to save thirty bucks!
There is inflation for you

I wonder if I have any more of your stuff in my archives?

·
Super Moderator
10,592 Posts
This switch is now almost $100 on IAP's website.
Amazon carries an 8 terminal switch that fits mid 70's BMWs. Their price is $63.49 . See: Amazon.com: BMW e9 e10 Hazzard Flasher Switch 8 Prong GENUINE: Automotive I am not sure this will fit agsky's 1973 Alfa - 1973 Alfas may have used the 6 terminal version. My point is that since these switches were used on many 1970's era cars, further shopping may produce a lower-priced source.

I had this same switch fail on my 1970 BMW 2800CS a month or so back. One of the guys on the e9 forum had an absolutely brilliant suggestion: Wire the switch so that with the button out you get normal operation (e.g., L&R turn signals), and with the switch in you get the emergency flashers. That way, the delicate tangs inside the switch aren't wearing every time your car hits a bump.

I'm too lazy to describe this fix in detail, and honestly if you aren't comfortable figuring out the details, you probably shouldn't be modifying your flasher circuit. This fix still requires a working switch that provides both normal and emergency operation, so it won't fix a wonky switch like agsky's. I will say that it involved jumpering a couple of the terminals on the socket that connects to the switch, and connecting a couple of diodes between the switch and socket to isolate the L and R sides during emergency operation.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
You can fix it like we did in the 70's which was jamming a wood toothpick between the button and the housing. Then you just pull the toothpick out when you want to turn on the flashers.

·
Registered
323 Posts
We should all be cussing the moronic engineer at Alfa that choose to design a switch which is under tension when in the off mode. What was he/she thinking?

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
We should all be cussing the moronic engineer at Alfa that choose to design a switch which is under tension when in the off mode. What was he/she thinking?
As this same switch was used in other cars I presume that it was to comply with government regulations. They probably applied some kind of "fail safe" philosophy to the switch. I worked almost 40 years in the nuclear industry where this kind of thing is common place.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts