Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 73 Spider that had A/C. I took it off and now my belts dont line up. The A/C had a bracket that is very large and I took it off and put the alternator in its place and how the water pump, crank and alternator pulleys dont line up. It looks like the alternator is about half to an inch further out that the water pump and the alternator pulley is in the middle of a double pulley of the crank pulley.:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
The alternator doesn't go on that AC bracket. It goes down on the front cover driver's side just above the oil filter.

If you removed the aftermarket AC unit...save the parts...and remove the bracket that runs across the front of the head.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Seems like a lot of confusion here, maybe you should post a pic. If you give the guys on this site the right information they always seem to come up with the right advice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The alternator connect to the housing around the the AC unit and the ac unit connects to the area where the alternator would connect if there was no ac unit.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts

That looks like a Behr aftermarket setup to me. Confirm for yourself by looking at the dash pictures above and see if your AC unit beneath the dash is the same. If so...definitely aftermarket Behr. I have never heard of a true factory setup until like the series 3 spiders. Prior to that it was a kit that was dealer installed.

Do you have a shim between the alternator and the front cover? Washer?

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Take off ALL the brackets associated with the old AC unit. Confirm that the alternator is a stock unit and not some retrofit. The stock model should bolt right onto the front at the bottom pivot. I don't think there is any washer or spacer between the alternator and the engine mount point. It should line up.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Right....should not be a spacer or anything between the alternator and the front cover pivot point. With his alignment issue now and the clean forward pulleys in his picture of the ac....got me wondering if this kit has a spacer to move the alternator forward. The alignment for the belt should be the inner most pulley on the crank. Again, the alternator factory point of attachment is right above the oil filter.

Alfa did not put factory ACs in a 73 spider. Only dealer installed aftermarket kits were available. These kits included a big bracket that fastened across two big studs coming out of the end of the head. The bracket consisted of the AC compressor mount as well as an idler.

Here is a picture of the stock mounting point on my 78. If you have it there, and you have insured its not shimmed out with washers or a bushing, then perhaps you have the wrong alternator. Also note that there is a brace running from the lock bolt hole to the water pump studs that you do not have pictured in your assembly.

Best Regards,
John M

Attachments

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I think looking at your picture that there is a spacer under the alternator pulley/fan, you can tell by the gap between the alternator fan and alternator body. I'd suggest you remove the alternator from the car first, then remove the pulley/fan from the front of the alternator (be careful, don't loose the small woodruff key), you will find a spacer that is making the difference that puts the pulley out of line with the crankshaft and waterpump pulley. I've been down this road before. When you order a rebuilt alternator from some suppliers you can specify a/c or no a/c, the difference is usually the spacer on the front of the alternator, sometime however there can be a difference in the thickness of the body pivot casting of the alternator itself, this does not seem to be happening here. Hope this helps. I've attached a cropped photo of your alternator to highlight both the spacer and the body pivot and a photo of the front cover showing its pivot.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I pulled the pulley and removed the spacer but the fan on the alternator misses the woodriff key and just spins. I dont see a spacer on the pivot body. I think it is possible that the alternator is for ac and wiil have to end up getting a new alternator. The only think with that is do I need to replace the pulleys. I have a friend that has a 74 Spider and he has only a single pulley on the crank shaft.

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
I pulled the pulley and removed the spacer but the fan on the alternator misses the woodriff key and just spins. I dont see a spacer on the pivot body. I think it is possible that the alternator is for ac and wiil have to end up getting a new alternator. The only think with that is do I need to replace the pulleys. I have a friend that has a 74 Spider and he has only a single pulley on the crank shaft.
As long as one of the crank pulleys lines up with the water pump pulley you should be fine with the double pulley. If you don't find a cheap alternator locally I can send you one from a 74 Berlina for $28.00 including shipping US Priority. Needs cleaning but worked when the engine was pulled 2 yrs. ago. You'd have it by the end of the week. Keep us informed.

Bill Sinclair

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bill,
Send me an meail with your info and i will talk to my boss (wife) and will get that alternator. Also woundering if you had an extra alteernator bracket.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts