Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Should I keep the car and cut it to fit a BMW V-12 and Corvette running gear?

• SELL IT FOR $15,000

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Sell it for less than ten grand

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • PUT IN THE V-12

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
In my opinion, the pain (financial and time) to bring back this old boy is too much. However, we all hate to see that happen.

So, an odd sort of “group sourcing” might work. Here’s how.

Put it on BaT with no reserve. You may be surprised by how much you get.
The next guy puts some time and money into it, gets discouraged, and puts it back on BaT.
This cycle gets repeated several times until someone brings it to fruition.

Nobody is out too much, maybe even nothing but their time, and a few years down the road everyone can point to the finished product and say “I had a hand in that”.

The documented saga would epic.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I don't even know what to say to that. I've been struggling for 6 or 7 hours to come up with a cohesive thought that isn't vitriolic.

This is not some magic Monty that showed up in thin air (or fell off a truck) that has no tangible value. I paid APE for it. I have paid for indoor storage to keep it out of the weather for almost 10 years. I have purchased many parts for it. I parted another Montreal for everything it could give--all that cost money. I don't need to MAKE money, but I don't need to pay somebody else to make a profit off my hardship either.

Don, I don't appreciate you taking a position of leadership to decide the financial value of my circumstances. While your opinion is valid (and quite possibly the solution), what you said in a public forum could better have been said in private. Perhaps our discussion would have led to a post that you could have said, "I had a hand in that decision." Now it just looks like you've swayed the market.

My original thought was: "Maybe I don't cut up this unmolested Montreal. Maybe I let Alfa fans make an offer (which nobody has, BTW). Maybe it's not too late to keep this rare-colored shell in the family."

Your opinion is: "Maybe we'd be more comfortable if, years down the line, some Ken Block wannabe outside our community got the car and cut it up after all to drift around Turin, and we'd all enjoy having a part in its fame when we never lifted a finger to save it."

If nobody wants to make an offer by the 20th, that's fine. I'll do what you said and list it on BaT and/or eBay or whatever with every expectation of taking a monumental loss ($7,500 is a loss of about $4k when you factor in storage and the parts I've purchased). When I do, I get nothing, the community gets nothing, and a perfectly good Montreal roller possibly goes to hell on all our behalf.

My entire point with this post is to give the Alfa enthusiasts an opportunity to paint a masterpiece with an unmolested canvas.

I've done my duty, and I will feel no guilt for what comes next. Thank you, everyone, for the platform to TRY to do the right thing and to hear and be heard. If you'd like to make an offer, I'm listening, but I'm all done trying to extol the virtues of preserving this car's virginity for just the right spouse.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
For those still wondering, "what Monteal's are like, are they any good", Jay Leno's Garage, just did a report/ special on Montreal's, He is very impressed and closed his report with, "If you ever see one for sale, Buy It". Bob Lesher, owner of a 72'

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
I don't even know what to say to that. I've been struggling for 6 or 7 hours to come up with a cohesive thought that isn't vitriolic.

This is not some magic Monty that showed up in thin air (or fell off a truck) that has no tangible value. I paid APE for it. I have paid for indoor storage to keep it out of the weather for almost 10 years. I have purchased many parts for it. I parted another Montreal for everything it could give--all that cost money. I don't need to MAKE money, but I don't need to pay somebody else to make a profit off my hardship either.

Don, I don't appreciate you taking a position of leadership to decide the financial value of my circumstances. While your opinion is valid (and quite possibly the solution), what you said in a public forum could better have been said in private. Perhaps our discussion would have led to a post that you could have said, "I had a hand in that decision." Now it just looks like you've swayed the market.

My original thought was: "Maybe I don't cut up this unmolested Montreal. Maybe I let Alfa fans make an offer (which nobody has, BTW). Maybe it's not too late to keep this rare-colored shell in the family."

Your opinion is: "Maybe we'd be more comfortable if, years down the line, some Ken Block wannabe outside our community got the car and cut it up after all to drift around Turin, and we'd all enjoy having a part in its fame when we never lifted a finger to save it."

If nobody wants to make an offer by the 20th, that's fine. I'll do what you said and list it on BaT and/or eBay or whatever with every expectation of taking a monumental loss ($7,500 is a loss of about $4k when you factor in storage and the parts I've purchased). When I do, I get nothing, the community gets nothing, and a perfectly good Montreal roller possibly goes to hell on all our behalf.

My entire point with this post is to give the Alfa enthusiasts an opportunity to paint a masterpiece with an unmolested canvas.

I've done my duty, and I will feel no guilt for what comes next. Thank you, everyone, for the platform to TRY to do the right thing and to hear and be heard. If you'd like to make an offer, I'm listening, but I'm all done trying to extol the virtues of preserving this car's virginity for just the right spouse.
Whoa. Sorry you took that so hard.

Posting a survey pretty much asks for suggestions. I gave you one. I truly believe a BaT no reserve auction is the best way to maximize your return. Wasn’t that the implied question of your survey? Your note above says you’ve had no offers. My post certainly is not the cause of that.

Hope you find a way out. Chewing me out won’t help that, either.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I've notice sometimes some members can be hard on some members and their non running projects when offering a project car for sale. With today's internet and resources and repairer's skills most if not all projects have the potential to be brought back to original or running condition. I think cultural relic (1980's /1990's) responses don't help especially when their is no logic as to what is thought of as reasonable staring price for a project.
With my project I'm trying to sell I get the same types of responses as many just want to go back to the 1980's when most cars were runners.
The reality is entry level projects can be paced over a number a years to give you a running car.

I noticed the car was originally form the UK as it has the UK seat belt compliance plate in the engine bay.
Regards Steve

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm not chewing you out. I voiced my concern; the matter is resolved.

I agree with the no reserve auction idea. Some form of that is coming after this weekend, when I move the car out of storage and take better pictures.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Rear seat bottom. Not great, but not missing either.

Included, mint condition:

Loose parts, wiring from the orange Monty, another console, some relays, etc:

Seats from the orange car, as above:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am working with Carl to purchase this project car. At his strong suggestion, I am posting here for some insight. He has been hugely helpful thus far but wanted me to open the discussion to this thread to provide a more complete analysis.

The plan I envision is to strip down the car completely, address the small body work, paint it in original color, and rebuild it screw by screw from the ground up. I know this process will take a pile of money and long time. Years.

With this plan in mind, does anyone here see any potential pitfalls or parts issues of which I should be concerned? Is sourcing an engine going to be difficult? Transmission? Does anyone see critical parts missing that I will spend years chasing which will prevent me completing the restoration so I can start each day drinking my coffee in the garage listening to the V8?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Well, I have a totally complete car you can swap all the parts over from, the body is rusty from the belt line up. No need to scrounge for parts, will probably be much cheaper in the long run. Peter.

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
I just posted in the Classified area that I'm going to sell my Monty engine and spare parts. When I do the calendaring, I don't have the time to build the boat I was going to do. So, clearing the decks. You can read my first comments in the classifieds. I need to finishing taking inventory before calculating what I'll accept. It comes with a fresh, never installed, Ingram Pump, TA, and injectors.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
As someone who has spent the last couple of years collecting parts for my basketcase Montreal, I can say that most parts are out there. Definitely a few engines around but as will all things, buy the best you can afford. They are a strong engine but most have issues around the water pump (A few excellent options to upgrade there) and cracks in the heads. Some of the hardest stuff to find for me was stainless trim (nearly there). Only some sheet metal around the wheel arches holding me up now.

@aratt If there are specific parts you are chasing I can point you in the right direction. I've annoyed enough Montreal owners over the years to know who has what spares!

@classicalfas rusty from the belt line up? Was it parked upside down? ;P

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
i have some gearboxes and a Montreal engine for sale...
Alfa2go: this weekend I pick up a Montreal project (complete) and an empty body too. will check condition of the wheel arches. from that one I can cut it out when useful.
so will let you know.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts