Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No Relation, just went and saw the car. He has no details and no pictures up on craigslist, so I figured I'd take some pics for you all.

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV

Car needed more than I wanted to give. I'm happy to answer any questions about the car.

Important points are:
Interior is pretty much done. Wires hanging under dash. Drivers front rocker is done, rust in the front end of the hood. (needs new hood.) Rust along passenger side rear window bottom. Window was removed to fix rust, and has not been glued back in. Needs full restoration in my opinion. Engine is not original, it is out of a 74 spider. Hasn't ran in 10 years and been sitting outside for same length. He has original engine in parts as well as other parts in a garage. He also supposedly has a lot of literature for the car. But I didn't see any of it.

Reply to this ad with questions for me if you have any. I have no contact with the seller. He seemed like he was pretty flexible on the price.

Hope this helps.

Chase

Attachments

G

·
You didn't see the original engine? Any idea why the engine was taken out and replaced?
It looks like it's missing instrument cluster as well. (Is there a way to determine mileage on a car like this?)
Does he have original title? or salvage title? Did you get a look at the chassis number? I'm curious if this is original paint color?
It obviously needs ALOT of work, but the body looks fairly solid and straight. Does it look like it can be moved? (curious if anything is broken in regards to at least rolling it on its tire)

·
Premium Member
23,110 Posts
There's no difference between a 74 Spider engine and a 74 GTV engine. You can't even tell from a particular car which particular engine it had, because Alfa didn't keep track of it by these years. Swapping in a good used engine was and is common (just did it myself, putting a 74 Spider engine in a 74 Berlina). If concours judging is your worry, there's no way for anyone to tell this is not the proper engine (assuming the engine number is in the ballpark range).
No way to tell mileage without the speedo, other than judging by relative wear, etc.
Looks like a big big project. Price seems high for condition, but if seller's flexible, that's good.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
23,110 Posts
Yes, I was kidding. But that's the only reason I could think of to care about the original engine in a car that looks like this. Check out those surroundings too. Hey wait, looks like my yard!
Andrew

G

·
Is there a way to tell different years of the engine? Would I be able to take a '71 1750 and put it in a '74? (or vice versa). Concours is not my goal, but wanting to put the car back to stock, while at the same time learning the art of restoration is my goal.
Though I'm not a fan of the big bird yellow color. And the cost of buying and replacing the missing parts just to get a complete car would cost more than $3000.

What would you estimate a car in this condition is worth?

Doug

·
Premium Member
23,110 Posts
A 74 Spider or GTV would have from new an engine in this range: About AR01500*07000* to about AR01500*12000* If you have a VIN or a build date I can narrow it down closer than that.

Not much. It's borderline a parts car, I think, depending on how bad the rust around the windows is.

Andrew

·
Registered
291 Posts
$800-$900?? That's what I would want to pay.

·
Premium Member
23,110 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't pay over $1000, maybe $500. Just depends on your plans, abilities, budget, idea of fun. Unless you want to learn/practice restoration skills, it's almost always better to buy the best car you can find/afford.
Andrew

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So to answer the questions, the original engine was smoking, which is why he dropped in the spider engine. He has the gauges, which I assume show correct mileage. He has te title in hand, which I believe is clean. I didn't look at the chassis number. I wasn't that interested in it after seeing it. I looks like that yellow is the original color. I saw jambs, engine bay and trunk in that color.

It appeared the car could be moved as is. All tires held air. I believe the windshield rust was repaired. I be more concerned with the rockers, even though they're super common. If I wasn't already restoring an Alfa I would have made him a low offer. I'd say 500-1000 is reasonable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts