Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, in my 73 GTV I get an annoying break squeal when coming to a stop and I am releasing the pressure on the brakes. The fronts have been completely gone through with new rotors, pads, rebuilt calipers, and the rubber brake lines. I was hoping this would do the trick. It seems the softer I apply the brakes the louder the noise. Do not get any noise when applying the brakes hard. Anybody have any ideas as to what to look at next? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The squealing happens because the pad vibrates with a high frequency against the brake piston. The usual trick is to apply a thin layer of copper grease to the back of the pads where the pad and the piston makes contact.

Do not put grease on the pad surface that is in contact with the brake disc.

Another (remote) possibility is that the brake pistons were mounted with a 180 degrees rotation. The pistons are recessed on one side (at least they are on my 1972 ATE pistons), so that the pad is worn evenly when it is pressed against the rotating brake disc. If you mount the pistons "wrong" (as in: not quite right), squealing may happen.

The recession should face into the rotation, so that more pressure is applied to the "far" side of the pad.

I hope you understood that, and don't ask me how I know this :D

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Looks like a "been there, done that" situation. Those guys always know best:cool:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks TorW, Will pull the pads and check the orientation on the pistons. Will put some anti-squeal on the back of the pads. Let you know how it works.
Fred

1 - 4 of 4 Posts