Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a "once around" on my on my new project Alfa and spent time trackig and reviewing the oil separator that is connected to the crankcase by a main hose with attachments to the air cleaner, al line to for returning air to be reburned, and a line to return the separted oil ot the crankcase.

Question - the separator was full of "gunk" and the line for returning the oil completely blocked. I assume there is no filter material in the separator? If this is correct is there a way to clean the sparator to return it to its original dual purpose - to separate and return oil and air?

Thanks

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think "Jim's Spider Page" covers what he did to clean out the air/oil separator...complete with pictures. You could probably take it to some high degree of cleaning but all I did was clean the hoses out (had to replace the two large ones though since they were cracked) and degrease the heck out of the separator until no more gunk came out.

This is probably one of the most neglected items on all of our vehicles!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil Separator

Many thanks. That is what I expected and I will do more work on getting the old dry oil out. I did find and review Jim's site but did not see the tip or FAQ on the oil separator.

Also as a note, it look's like Jim might be getting ready to shut his site down - would be a shame since it is a great resource. We all need to contact Jim and see if we can encourge him to keep the site going.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Must have been another site then...if I find it again, I'll post a link but I think you get the idea anyway.

Yeah it looks like Jim is losing enthusiasm after someone crunched his Spider. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts