Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd post some pictures of my 1973 1300 GT Junior's restoration,from media blast to replacing and butt welding panels,to getting it ready for paint,about 9 mos. of work. This is a nut and bolt restoration,engine torn down,suspension rebuilt,new interior,frenched in fuel filler on panel,will be filled from inside the trunk. All parts from Alfaholics,IAP,Centerline.

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
Looks like fun! Are you doing the work yourself? What color will it be painted? Original or color change?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no, wish i had that skill set,my guys are english wheel guys, i'm learning ,they use all lead n metal, no bondo anywhere,the skimming is about to happen as we use kevlar and carbon fibre mix to set the car,suspension uprated,original color ROSSO, noooooo way, the cars being done like my last one in a deep burgundy with new Alfaholics tan interior and wrapped dash. nut and bolt resto .

·
Registered
408 Posts
Quite the endeavor. Looks like you are well on your way. What media did you use for blasting? Other than the front clip have you had to replace any other body panels?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rear also replaced front clip 1400 rear about 800 ,usual holes everywhere lol,the car was a hill climb car in the Dolomites,we did a 2 stage process for media, we used angel beads i think number 8 then smaller beads to smooth the panels. when this is finished it will be a haggerty 1.this is the color with tan like interior

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Interesting looking project, do post more pics as it progresses. What are your plans for upgrades (suspension etc.)?

if i told you how much i have put into the car you'd faint LOL
I don't think we would. Most of us on here know how easy it is to spend a lot of money on these projects! I know from my own experience how much a full restoration really costs, especially if you can't do the work yourself. But you will know you have a very high quality job once it is done. Well worth spending the money to get a quality job.

·
Registered
450 Posts
great project

keep the pics coming

the more stripped down projecs I see, and progress pics I see - the more it inspires me to keep going on mine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
finished decking,porting,polishing,upper and loer timing chains,and a full gasket set has been done. Came out just lovely,verry happy with it .

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
Looking good!

Are the cams factory or did you upgrade?

Curious to hear more about your porting too -- just a cleanup or was it a full port? Did you use the guidelines from one of the Alfa books on the market?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
11,654 Posts
How did you repair the bulkhead? Was it converted, or something, to left hand drive?

Pete

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was going to go to a hotter cam, but when We took the engine down the cams looked brand new so they stayed,we cleaned the carbon deposits on the port then opened them up as too specs we got online so the engine breathes better.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pete, Not sure what your referring to, this car was sold in Germany originally as left hand drive.

·
Registered
11,654 Posts
Pete, Not sure what your referring to, this car was sold in Germany originally as left hand drive.
Duckman,

Morning :), the first 2 photos you posted (http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=960481&stc=1&d=1454681464 and http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=960489&stc=1&d=1454681464) show repairs to the bulkhead with a vertical cut + 3 welds on the drivers side of the gearbox tunnel area.

I was just wondering what that was all about. I assume this has now been fixed properly and butt welded so the bulkhead has returned to a single piece again :).
Pete

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
How did you repair the bulkhead? Was it converted, or something, to left hand drive?

Pete
Has it been converted from floor pedals to hanging, but the car should be hanging already based on the year.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Wow, very impressive. I take it those white patches are body filler for smoothing out the body lines? Did you do the filler work?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts