Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings ... I have a master cylinder kit for the above mentioned Alfa and I have a few questions. Referring to the photo:

1. I can't figure out where the rubber washer (plunger ?)
with the question mark goes. I do not remember if it
had one or where it went when I took it apart.

2. How do I get the other rubber "washers" on where the
old ones are now. "In the old days" we just used to
slide the old ones off and slide the new one's on. I
don't want to try it until I'm sure.

3. After I get the washers on I would like to slide the
mechanism into the cylinder. Should I use some brake
fluid to lubricate the inside of the MC first?

I'm over 65 and of all the things I've lost I
miss my mind the most.

thanks in advance and take care ... Vic

PS ... any ideas where I can get a good DVD manual
on the Alfa. I've seen them advertised but not
in the detail of a disassembled master cylinder etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
master cylinder assembly q's

1. I don't know

2. It should come apart more, see picture. the picture is from a Milano/75 manual but is almost identical to an image I have from an Alfetta (see attached pdf) manual and from what I can remember, the Spider also.

After a bit of searching I did find a Spider manual on the web, in Italian. But a picture is worth a mille parole! See the other attached pdf.

3. Yes, lubricate with fresh brake fluid or go to the autoparts store for brake assembly lube. I always got a little plastic "grape" or "olive" filled with fluid or grease for assembly. Guess not any more.

4. I know you didn't ask a 4th question, but investigate bench bleeding before reinstalling your master cylinder.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much, much appreciated !!

Just a quick note to say thanks for all the reply's 'specially 86Spider for his picture ... very, very helpful.

take care ...Vic

·
RIP 9/10/2017
130 Posts
Buy a new one on eBay. I tried a rebuild and it failed.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,358 Posts
my 2 cents buy a new one never had any luck at all with rebuilding master cyl they will leak again sooner than you think
Buy a new one on eBay. I tried a rebuild and it failed.
Did either of you hone the cylinder? Honing restores the cross-hatch pattern in the cylinder bore. This is essential to a quality rebuild. however, if the cylinder was deeply scored, no amount of honing will fix it.

It's also possible the cylinder or the piston(s) were too badly worn. The maximum permissible diameter for a 22.2mm cylinder is 22.31mm. The minimum permissible diameter for pistons is 22.05. The maximum clearance is 0.26mm.

If the cylinder is properly prepped, within specs and properly assembled, it should provide years of service.

·
Registered
552 Posts
yes cyl was honed i have been a mech for 35 years you mite get one out of a 100 that works after you rebuid it but not long after that it will be leaking again so i say once again buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuy a neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew one and save yourself money on a tow and the time spent pulling it out and rebuilding it

·
Registered
318 Posts
yes cyl was honed i have been a mech for 35 years you mite get one out of a 100 that works after you rebuid it but not long after that it will be leaking again so i say once again buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuy a neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew one and save yourself money on a tow and the time spent pulling it out and rebuilding it

I had my calipers rebuilt by a local company, Goldline Brakes. Goldline Brakes - Rebuilt Disc Brake Calipers I asked them if they did master cylinders too and they said it's not worth the effort; rebuilt ones just don't last. So I got the $76 one from IAP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts