Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 72 spider to mate with my 74 GTV. The spider has a solid body and strong engine but needing plenty of work. The car was repainted sometime in the last 10 years, looks OK from a distance but needs to be redone. I am willing to spend the effort, time and dollars to make the car top notch. What improvements are suggested?
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light Plant

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I just purchased a 72 spider to mate with my 74 GTV. The spider has a solid body and strong engine but needing plenty of work. The car was repainted sometime in the last 10 years, looks OK from a distance but needs to be redone. I am willing to spend the effort, time and dollars to make the car top notch. What improvements are suggested? View attachment 1707225 View attachment 1707225 View attachment 1707225
Are you going to restore it all at one time or little at a time?

Ken

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just purchased a 72 spider to mate with my 74 GTV. The spider has a solid body and strong engine but needing plenty of work. The car was repainted sometime in the last 10 years, looks OK from a distance but needs to be redone. I am willing to spend the effort, time and dollars to make the car top notch. What improvements are suggested? View attachment 1707225 View attachment 1707225 View attachment 1707225
Looks to be a viable candidate. The rocker panels may be suspect, as I have had experience on the early '70s Spyders. Labor of love.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
It maybe in bites but a short term project. Hope to have it done in less than a year.
For sure it is a good car. The S2 with chrome bumpers values are going up fast. Good condition $17k and Excellent condition is $28k. This will give to a range of how much to spend.
Paint and body will cost you the must.

Ken

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both the GTV and this spider are 2 liter, Spica injected cars. The book list this spider as 150 HP while the GTV is 130 HP. what is the difference?

·
Premium Member
6,782 Posts
only one upgrade is really needed -- chassis stiffener. Other 'upgrades' to consider are adding first gear fix to transmission, and swapping diffs for a 4:10 IF you do a lot of freeway driving. The meat of the project is to disassemble every mechanical assembly and rebuild it and replace all worn parts. Check the burman box for cracks.

Reactions: Tinm

·
Registered
3 Posts
only one upgrade is really needed -- chassis stiffener. Other 'upgrades' to consider are adding first gear fix to transmission, and swapping diffs for a 4:10 IF you do a lot of freeway driving. The meat of the project is to disassemble every mechanical assembly and rebuild it and replace all worn parts. Check the burman box for cracks.
I totally agree with this!!

·
Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
758 Posts
Keith S -

Great project. Chassis stiffener, definitely. Get a set of original wheels back on the car. Delete side markers. Three-point seat belts. The ZF steering box doesn't crack.

Mild cams? Stinger exhaust? No-visible-holes third brake light?

Please post your progress -

David OD
Laguna CA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts