Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1972 Spider
I've noticed many forum members have moved the battery to the trunk.
1. Is there a prefered place in the trunk in which to locate it ?
2. Is there a box or tray that people are using to hold it, or just hold downs without a try?
3. Do you change the battery size and type, like AGM, lithium, other dry cell, etc?

Thanks.

·
Registered
what part?
10,926 Posts
go to your local welding supply store and get some of there 1/0 welding cable for the + post of the battery to the starter.. its cheaper than ' auto battery cable ' and works better and more flexable..

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,837 Posts
If you like hunting through wrecking yards you can get a high quality battery cable from an e36 (1992-1998) BMW 3 series for about $10. If will already have the battery terminal on it if they didn't cut it off.

Later spiders tuck the battery under the passenger fender. You might be able to get the mounts from someplace like Alfa Parts Exchange.

·
Registered
what part?
10,926 Posts
speedway motors has battery kits

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
1. Is there a prefered place in the trunk in which to locate it ?
The right rear of the trunk is where the factory chose to locate spider batteries by the late 70's. Many people like to put them at the center of the shelf at the front of the trunk, but I dislike that location as that shelf is a great place to store folding chairs, rolled-up car covers, etc. If your battery must take up shelf real estate, shift the battery to the right side (to offset the driver's weight on the left side).

3. Do you change the battery size and type, like AGM, lithium, other dry cell, etc?
Modern, smaller batteries are easier to locate. I like Odyssey batteries, though don't know what their technology is. Be careful of reducing amp-hours too much; keep in mind that you'll have resistive losses over that long cable.

·
Premium Member
15,004 Posts
I have the smallest Odyssey battery mounted in the trunk. It weighs 13 lb and has been working fine for 9 years despite being deep discharged a few times. I think that Alfaholics sell a mounting box for them.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the smallest Odyssey battery mounted in the trunk. It weighs 13 lb and has been working fine for 9 years despite being deep discharged a few times. I think that Alfaholics sell a mounting box for them.
Thanks all for the Odyssey battery lead.
1. Now, WHICH ONE, or better yet, which one NOT to get (too low amps or CCA, terminal type, etc)?
2. Looks like there are all kinds of terminal types with these smaller batteries, so is there a problem with adapting fittings? I'm thinking if I get a non-standard terminal end, what if I change to a different battery down the road. Might not be easy to just plug in a different type, right?
3. Are these batteries sufficient to handle AC in slow traffic without racing with the alternator to keep up?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,004 Posts
PC680 in the Spider which was not big enough for the GTV6 so it got a PC925.

No AC in either car so I cannot comment on that.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you like hunting through wrecking yards you can get a high quality battery cable from an e36 (1992-1998) BMW 3 series for about $10. If will already have the battery terminal on it if they didn't cut it off.

Later spiders tuck the battery under the passenger fender. You might be able to get the mounts from someplace like Alfa Parts Exchange.
Sounds good, thanks. I love junkyards. So, I take it that the e36 cable length is long enough to go from right rear in trunk to the front?

go to your local welding supply store and get some of there 1/0 welding cable for the + post of the battery to the starter.. its cheaper than ' auto battery cable ' and works better and more flexable..
OK. However, the only local welding supply shop I know is Harbor Freight, not a real welding shop...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PC680 in the Spider which was not big enough for the GTV6 so it got a PC925.

No AC in either car so I cannot comment on that.
Your comment "not big enough" means that it would run down quicker than the ALT would recharge it, right?

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
Your comment "not big enough" means that it would run down quicker than the ALT would recharge it, right?
Not exactly. The alternator and charging aren't the issue. It's starting the car when it's cold that will be the challenge. If the battery isn't putting out enough "cold cranking amps" and the long battery cable has enough resistance to drop the voltage, the starter just won't spin fast enough.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
The question that you have to ask is why are you moving the battery? This is a lot of work for what? An agm battery is good. Has the Cca and does leak acid. Since your car is a 72 no ac issues. As for the weight issue...man in my opinion the car is a flexing spider..... never use a junk yard battery cable as the condition of it is in question. Welding supply stores just need to be looked up there are many. Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts