Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Sport TI 1972 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched this site for quiet some time and I can't get my head wrapped around the proper orientation of the sway bar links.

can someone take pictures of their sway bar so I can get a clear idea.

also, should these be installed under load?

here are a couple pictures that I think are correct?
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle tire Bicycle part

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1974 GTV 2000
377 Posts
Oh god, I remember gong through this years ago with my GTV! I think there is a thread on it somewhere. What I did was get the swaybar ends and endlinks all bolted up first, and THEN bolt the swaybar to the body of the car last, it was much easier that way (for me anyway). I used a jack and jacked up the swaybar from the middle and then installed the two brackets last

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
When viewed from the front looking rearward, the upper link bushing should be angled "out" so that you can see the inboard side of the bushing; when viewed from above, the upper bushing should be slightly aft of the lower bushing.

The upper bushing should have a tight tolerance fit to the sway bar, so its best to press (or hammer) it onto the sway bar before mounting the sway bar with its links as a single assembly... IIRC, the link should be at a right angle to the bar...

The sway bar should be mounted to the lower A arms first, then to the chassis...

BTW, your spring pan bolts should be installed with the bolt head on top, and washer/nut underneath...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So confused…rearward, inboard, aft….lol
So are mine backwards then?
Someone must have a picture…

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
What you have pictured looks wrong so try this.
Flip the left link (the one in you photo) upside down from its current position so that the bar between the bushings is slanted towards the back. If the upper bushing angle aligns with the sway bar, it’s in the right place. If not, then it belongs on the other side of the car, keeping the top/bottom orientation the same.
Then just repeat… the bar between the bushings slants back, not to the sides… the top bushing aligns with the sway bar angle... it should take less than a minute for you to try the different orientations… less time than for me to type this out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! That helps a lot.
I also just found this picture which describes what you said, correct?
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Plant Bumper

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! The past 1.5 months I have rebuilt my entire suspension, redid all brakes including new seals in calipers, drained both diff and trans fluids, plugs, wires, replaced clutch master and slave cylinders, and for some reason the orientation of these stupid links was the most confusing for me to wrap my head around. Oh and bleeding the brakes has been a challenge also. Still working on that one. Ordered speedbleeders to hopefully help!

again…Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts