Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of this listing on ebay...

The description seems to suggest a car in above average condition. I wonder why the bids haven't exceed $6000 yet?

72 GTV

There is a 74 GTV in the Detroit area that seems to be in fair condition that is only listing for $2000 less. Could it be the locations?

74 GTV

I'm still trying to figure out pricing on GTV's.

·
Registered
739 Posts
My old SCM from 8/2002 with a priceguide for Alfa has 1750/2000 GTV's in condition #2 at $7,500 to $9,500 with no year over year change. I wouldn't think there has been much movement on values in the past year.

Ciao,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking for a semi-restored GTV for about $8,000. By semi-restored I mean a GTV that has no rust, an excellent paint job, good engine and trnasmission (with no leaks), minor interior dificiencies, some stone chips or small dent, etc.

As long as the main parts of the car are in above average or excellent shape (i.e body, engine & drivetrain) I can deal with the other things. I'm definitely NOT looking for a project car. I would like to be able to drive the car immediately.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
The '72 GTV has a factory sun roof. They are pretty rare. Perhaps that's one reason why the price is much higher than the '74.

Alfa pricing is a strange thing, especially on eBay. I have seen some really good deals and I have seen some Alfas sell for what I consider too much money. A friend of mine bought a fixer-upper '74 GTV for $1800 on eBay. He sold it on eBay for $9600 after fixing it up. To me, that was an amazing amount of money for a '74.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
My friends,
As it turns out, I'll be looking at the Detroit GTV tomorrow. For a friend who is trying to get into Alfas, not for me.

Bear in mind, I'm trying to help him, BUT I'll post what I see tomorrow afternoon...

Eric

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
i dont think that sunroof is original in the gtv. to my knowledge, the sunroof was a dealer option, not factory. also, i believe they were only on the 74 models. can anyone confirm or correct this?

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
To my knowledge, Anthonys right about the GTV sunroofs (sunrooves?) being dealer installed, not factory. Have a friend though who had a '73 GTV with a sunroof.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I know the seller of the '72 with the sunroof and the car pretty well. When he told me he was going to sell it, I told him I thought the car was worth $8K. If this car sells for $6K, someone will get a bona fide bargain. He also has a very nice 1750 GTV that's not for sale.

Garrett

·
Registered
739 Posts
NO. 1: EXCELLENT: Restored to current maximum professional standards of quality in every area or perfect original with components operating or appearing as new. A 95-plus point show car that is not driven.

NO. 2: FINE: Well-restored or a combination of superior restoration and excellent original. Also, an extremely well-maintained original showing very minimal wear.

NO. 3: VERY GOOD: Completely operable original or “older restoration” showing wear. Also, a good amateur restoration, all presentable and serviceable inside and out. Plus combinations of well-done restoration and good operable components or a partially-restored car with all parts necessary to complete and/or valuable NOS parts.

NO. 4: GOOD: A drivable vehicle needing no or only minor work to be functional. Also, a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. All components may need restoration to be “excellent,” but the car is mostly useable “as is.”

NO. 5: RESTORABLE: Needs complete restoration of body, chassis and interior. May or may not be running, but isn’t weathered, wrecked or stripped to the point of being useful only for parts.

NO. 6: PARTS CAR: May or may not be running, but is weathered, wrecked and/or stripped to the point of being useful primarily for parts.

·
Registered
739 Posts
According to someone who was in management at ARI at the time, there were no factory sunroofs in either GTV's or Berlinas in the early 70's. They were all dealer installed.

Ciao,

·
Registered
372 Posts
This is my first post to the BB, I'm not sure how the formatting will work out, but here it is...

Italcarguy asked ,
"dont think that sunroof is original in the gtv. to my knowledge,
the sunroof was a dealer option, not factory. also, i believe
they were only on the 74 models. can anyone confirm or correct
this?

I own '72 GTV hull #3020813 which is about 300 or 400 cars newer in production than the sunroof car on Ebay that this thread started up over. (BTW, as of this morning, that auction has been stopped). My GTV has a sunroof which appears to be identical to the one in the supersized Ebay photos . It is a Hollandia sunroof and from every aspect it looks to be a high quality factory installation. It still works perfectly and really helps open up the car on nice days. However, I have 2 bits of strong evidence that it's NOT FACTORY ORIGINAL.

First, There are small stickers on the door jambs reading "Sunroofs by the Sea, Redondo Beach".

Second, I've recently contacted the gentleman who owned my car for thirteen years starting in 1973. He described changes he made to the car shortly after buying it, and then added " The sunroof came later".

About a year ago there was quite a bit of discussion about this "Factory original sunroof" question on the Alfa Digest.
The most believable posts seem to match what GianniB writes in his message, "there were no factory sunroofs".
I saved a few of those posts and would be happy to forward them to anyone interested, or they can (maybe) be found in the AD archives.

It's not raining right now, so I'm taking the GTV out for a drive.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
About the 74 that is listed in e-bay above.

I would have to say that the guy posting it is pretty clear of what it really is- a solid car, very good powertrain, with an old interior, and paint issues.

The rust hole on the driver's side does look minor- I tried to look behind it with a flashlight, and I didn't notice anything.

The one thing that he does not say is that in most of the places where the paint has either flaked off or has surface rust, he used a rust protectant paint, which is black. I didn't ask what kind of rust cover it is, though.

The worst area of paint is on the passenger's side front fender.

But, as said, it is fully operational, and seems to run quite well. I guess it would be considered a 4 on Gianni's scale.

My friend is very interested in it, now. He really liked it. Nice to introduce new Alfa owners to reasonable cars.

Eric

·
Registered
3 Posts
1974 GTV on ebay

I'm the guy selling the 74 GTV (2426779005) on ebay. Regarding the comments from Turbolspider:

I do not agree with the way his posting is worded.

My Ebay listing is written such that it is very critical of the vehicle condition. I wrote it so anyone purchacing the car (if not able to see it) could never complain of something being worse than described. I expect most people probably pump up their description, making their car sound better than it is. I went the other way.

For 1 1/2 hrs he inspected the vehicle, and there was nothing found wrong or inaccurate that the ebay description did not mention. I have been overly honest about the condition of the vehicle.

Of course I disagree with the rating of a 4. This car is fully functional and useable as is. No work needed to enjoy this vehicle.

I can assure you that the vehicle has been well cared for, runs, drives, and looks great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Although I haven't seen the vehicle, I get the impression that your listing is straight up by it's detail. I wish more people would include as much detail as you did in your posting.

Having said that, I think turbolarespider may have just been trying to add any piece of new information he felt may be of interest to members of this board.

I didn't get the impression from his post that he was knocking the car or your description of it. In fact it sounds like it is a solid car.

Goodluck with your sale.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Dan
I see your point, but do note- your e-bay listing did not mention the color of the seal where the paint came off, which is what I did note as being a black seal that I did not ask of what brand.

And I did say that it was a solid car, very good powertrain, just elaborating that the rust hole you mentioned was nothing to be afraid of- nothing wrong behind it. For a person who does not live in the rust belt, knowing the one known rust hole is not serious is good to know...

As for the rating of 4, no, the car needs nothing to be enjoyable right now, runs great, it's screwed together very well. I guess one could consider it between a 3 and 4.

Some highlights that were glossed over- while noted that the engine was rebuilt- it also starts easily the first time, idles very well, does not back fire, and feels strong, even though Dan was still breaking it it. Next up- the car has an uncracked dash board- which is a hard find.

It is a very nice driving car from what I could tell, and would make a good car for any owner. Probably could be driven for many years without anything done to it. Sorry if I offended you.

Eric

·
Registered
3 Posts
1974 GTV

The black stuff used is duro/permatex extend, it chemically converts rust. It has worked well for me on cars I drive in winter. Yea, I know, I'm not a body/paint man, I barely know how to give a car a good wax job. Possibly whoever buys the car will benefit from it not being painted. They can see the condition it is, and if chose to paint it, do it right, the way it should be done. I would hate to see this car with a cheap paint job. In its current condition, the car does need to be waxed with "green" wax, or white spots show and it looks bad.

One additional mechanical item I have forgotten to mention is that occasionally there is a clunking from the rear. Auto engineers would call it a "loose lumber" noise. The car has not done it for a while, and it has not been bad enough or often enough for me to isolate. I've checked everything, but the whole rear suspension is solid. My hunch is it might be the trunion bushings, but I cannot confirm.

Funny story, today I drove the car, and the hood popped up. First time since I've owned it. Luckly it was an easy fix. I think the car might be trying to tell me something.

No offence taken. I guess I am already having sellers remorse, and the car is not yet sold.

Dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dan, if the reserve is not met you won't have to part with it.

I would love to come by and have a look at the car (it's a 4 hour drive from Toronto) but I can't take a day off with only a day or two left on the bidding. If you are unable to sell it on ebay and you are still willing to sell it, we can work something out.

Whatever happens, good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts