Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
And at that price, it was one of the lowest sale prices at the auction... (un)surpassed only by a '31 Ford Hot Rod ($31k), '56 Lincoln ($38.5k) and a '39 Steyr ($27.5k)...

A Giulietta SS sold for $209k:eek:

Some crazy money must be available at Monterey. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be offered $40k for my '73 GTV, and being unrestored, it is, in some regards, better than the restored '72 that sold at Goodings. But I just can't imagine that price being duplicated anytime soon...

·
Super Moderator
12,063 Posts
I saw that car in the Goodings tent. As I recall, their estimate was $25 - $30,000. It was certainly a nice GTV, but $41,800 ?? I don't think so.

Goes to show that buying a car at an auction is likely to be the most expensive way to acquire. There are exceptions, but in general, competing with drunk millionaires is not the way to get a bargain.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Great car prep and photo spread. I am happy, and impressed, at the sale price. Gooding really did their job.

I have never been a big fan of the gtv's in black but it sure looks great in these pictures. I know this beauty is not black, but from the pictures it looks it. The stance in the first picture looks so purposeful too.

Congradulations to all parties involved in this sale!

Miguel

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Must have been an ego war between two bidders in the room. There are equally if not nicer examples available for significantly less $. Same thing happened in Monterey in '08 with a white GTV of ordinary condition selling for $44K IIRC. But hey, I'm not complaining, it's good for all GTV owners when this kinda stuff happens :).

·
Registered
375 Posts
There are exceptions, but in general, competing with drunk millionaires is not the way to get a bargain.
This reminds me of one of my favorite auction stories. At the Gooding auction in Amelia Island this last year there was a very nicely restored Matador on the block. Bidding started slow and then all of a sudden it shot up above the expected range and was sold. We did not think to much of it. Shortly after we headed out to catch dinner and as fate would have it we we ended up at the same restaurant as the buyer. They were having quite the night on the town. So much so that most of the restaurant could hear Charlie Sheen lines being recited from their table. At one point we heard "I BOUGHT A MATADOR, DO YOU THINK I'M SOBER?! We laughed our butts off and for the rest of the weekend we continued to enjoy that remark.

It was a beautiful car but I am sure the seller was much happier than the buyer the next day.

Miguel

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Great story! That is absolutely hilarious!!! Here is a photo just to illustrate...

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yeah not that matador. 1959 or 60 Dodge Matador. In a soft pink. Great looking restoration.

I have some pictures of it on my computer at work I will add one in the morning.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Oh thank God!!! I'm still laughing at the story! That quote deserves to be on a t-shirt.

·
Registered
375 Posts
So I really liked the fins on this car and so that is what I have photographed...

I thought the way the marker lights are integrated into the back of the fin is really nice.

Here is a generic shot of the car:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
In a lot of cases at auctions, some people are under the impression that they are going to get a much better car than they would buying from an individual person. And as mentioned by "Alfajay" the estimates for the car in question do seem to be much more realistic. If I could count on getting $10 or $15K more than my Super is probably worth, I'd take it to an Auction House to see what they could do for me.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some crazy money must be available at Monterey. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be offered $40k for my '73 GTV, and being unrestored, it is, in some regards, better than the restored '72 that sold at Goodings. But I just can't imagine that price being duplicated anytime soon...
I bet your car would do quite well in a setting like this. It seems that period 70's colors like your piper yellow, prugna, cava beige, ochre yellow, etc. do quite well on cars of the era.

Just like I blame (in a good way) the 356's for raising Giulietta/Giulia prices, I see the 911's as part of the reason GTV's sometimes fetch these kind of prices. Over the weekend, Gooding had a few early 911's go for over $100K. All of a sudden, the GTV, which is not far behind the 911 looked like a good deal and it led to the bidding war that took this car to the price it sold for. It would have bee nice to see what a perfect 65 Giulia Sprint GT would have brought following the 65 911 which sold for over $100K.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,459 Posts
Just like I blame (in a good way) the 356's for raising Giulietta/Giulia prices, I see the 911's as part of the reason GTV's sometimes fetch these kind of prices. Over the weekend, Gooding had a few early 911's go for over $100K. All of a sudden, the GTV, which is not far behind the 911 looked like a good deal and it led to the bidding war that took this car to the price it sold for. It would have bee nice to see what a perfect 65 Giulia Sprint GT would have brought following the 65 911 which sold for over $100K.
This is solid reasoning! It is important to consider the market as a whole, not just Alfas in isolation as Alfisti (myself included) sometimes tend to do.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
It's still a wonder how much of the pricing has to do with the "Monterey Effect." An SS sold at the same auction as the GTV for $209k. Yet there has been an SS from Santa Barbara listed on eBay several times, that has a mid-$80s reserve that has not sold. Another blue SS sold at auction within the last year or so for ~$140k (not sure where... saw it on one of those Speed channel auction shows with Keith Martin...). In this economy, that $209k for the SS and the $41k for the GTV is huge...

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I admit that $209K is very high for an SS but you simply can't compare that SS to the SS in Santa Barbara. The gray SS in Monterey is unrestored, 100% original (including paint), with less than 28K original miles for starters.

As for the high price... as stated before... auction fever, ego competition, drunk millionaires ;):D.

Regardless, as a "percentage ratio" above projected pricing, the GTV faired far far better than the SS.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think given the nature of this auction, Gooding at Monterey, is largely what we are seeing here. There were a lot of blue chips being offered at this particular auction. Which in of itself brings in some big fish. Combined with the venue and its a sellers market. The auction did a stunning 78 million.

With regards to the SS, it is an original, unrestored, custom build for Briggs Cunningham. The buyer was paying for the history as much as he was paying for the car. It's a museum piece; I am surprise it has not been snatched up by the Collier Museum yet. I think that was a good buy.

Wish I had been there.

Miguel

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
OK, that makes more sense... I should have read Goodings write up on the SS. It's sometimes amazes me what some will pay for owning something of the "right" provenance... like Steve McQueen's 1970 911S that went for $1.25M at the same auction...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts