Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1972 Alfa Romeo GTV for sale SOLD!
I have owned this car for 15 years and had restored this car about 10 years ago to use as a daily driver. I stopped driving it long ago. I am now getting married, and it kills me to watch it sit there neglected, so it is time to let it and my dreams of turning it into a garage queen go. It ha s sat for a couple of years, but I started it up the other day, and still runs like a scolded dog!

Heres what it has got:

Motor:rebuilt and maintained by the late Mike O'brien, factory trained and certifed Alfa mechanic, owner of San Diego Alfa Romeo.
balancced and blueprinted
shot peened rods
crank plugs tapped
oil passages tapped for access to clean
new oil pump
Borgo 10.4:1 compression piston and liners
deves rings
New bearings (then)
big valves
performance valve springs
ported and polised head (gasket matched)
11mm International Auto cams (not regrinds)
Ingram Pump, Spica injection
Marelli Plex electronic ignition
Ansa and Faza (crap) exhaust system

Transmission is good. recent rebuild i got from another car. was built by a shop up in Los Angles.

Suspension
International performance springs
Koni Classics
Adjustable upper control arms
Ward and Deane rear sway bar ( now sold through International)
Some Poly bushings
15x7 Panasports / Michellin Piolets(old)

Brakes
cross drilled and slotted rotors
Ferdo pads
steel braided lines
brakes were done just before parking.

Car was taken to metal and resrayed silver. Sprayed everywhere, except engine compartment, which I thought I would do later. Car was originally red. Has euro markers and Carrelo and Cibie lights.
Body has since started to rust. Water has got under where the paint cracked. A body guy came and looked at it and said it was not to bad. Rockers are solid, doglegs have little rust. Floors are solid, spare tire well has a small spot.
interior is okay, but not great. Seats re recently redone, but could be better. has newish snakebite headliner. Had all electrical working when I parked it, even the cigarette lighter worked. Non smoking car. dash is cracked, varnish is starting to crack on the steering wheel. Can possibly refinish.
This car is a good solid foundation for a street performance restoration. Car is complete, everything is there, just needs to have the work done.

Asking $7000.00 obo

for inquiries email [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im the "body guy" that checked out the car. Anyone with decent bodyworking experience can whip this car back into shape in no time. If you have any questions regarding the body and what needs to be done dont hesitate to send me a PM. Andrew took me for a ride in this thing and you cant tell that it hasnt been run in a year or two. I would have bought it but that car wasnt in my budget, I actually just bought George Attias project 74 GTV from Larry Dickman of Alfa Parts Exchange.

Anyway, this is a great platform to start from. Something you can drive around while restoring. Andrew, I dont know if you got my email but I checked with DMV and your car is no longer in the system so there are no back fees.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Lennard. I hoping I would get your endorsement! Good luck With your car. I wanted you to end up with mine.
It sure was fun racing around in it again!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car has rust on pass side rear window sill at c pillar. This is the hardest spot to deal with. Trunk lid is the worst area, but it is confined to that lid. This can be replaced, solving the problem. Pass side a pillar base has rust that is treatable. front cowl in front of grill has a spot that is treatable. there are other areas with little buble that can be easily treated

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I talked to Alfa Parts Exchange today, they would be able to provide the sheet metal necessary to repair the rust.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A better idea. You know they say, if your scared of a little rust, you should stay away from Alfas. They get you ready for wooden boat restoration, where its all rotted.

·
Registered
352 Posts
2L or 1750?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2000 with a 1750 grill. I wanted a 71. I was trying to get a 1750 dash and console to install. It si a bit of apain to rewire the gang plug for the instruments, but I had a friend who did it. I wanted a 71'. My first gtv was a 1750, but it was rear ended and totaled. I liked that motor alot.
You have quite a collection of cars. Were you ever into Pacers or Gremlins? My Neighbor used to have a sweet Pacer. It was a metallic beige color. It would get the attention of some females, but I suspect a members only jacket would seal the deal.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Its hip to be square man.

I like the 2l better, but your car sounds almost ready for some vintage racing not winning, but racing which requires some cheating or a 1750 up here in Seattle.

Good that you did the crank and drilling for oil. That is a basic race motor prep right there according to some.

Can you send me some pix of the bad? Pete

·
Registered
352 Posts
BTW you obviously have fine taste.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can get you some pics. Send me an email to
[email protected]
and I can forward them to you.
The guy who built the motor, Mike O'brien raced his car and and various other cars over the years. His last car last car was a 65 gulia, with a 2L drive train. Motor to diff, and even the brakes. it was black and he would run it in the Mexican GP series in baja, or as we affectionally called it, the s---box challenge. we called his car La ****arocha. His last mod was going to be to put in a musical horn that would play its theme song. Race fans would have gone wild! To bad he passed. He was hit by a semi trying to push his car out of the rd in AZ. Rip, he is missed by all that knew him
A truly great man.
We built the motor with the potential to race it in mind. Bolt on some webers and advance the cam timing, then your ready to run. Well I guess you need a cage, harnesses and a fuel cell.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still have the car. Got a new optima battery for it, ordering fillters to give it a little maintence and have it ready to drive

1 - 19 of 19 Posts