Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered a dash cap from Centerline and found a problem with the fitment.

(YES - I know this won't be perfect and it is a compromise vs. a labor intensive DIY or $ intensive professional rebuild.)

The problem I have is the hole for the two round center vents on the top of the dash aren't large enough. The edge of the hole has a nicely turned edge so trimming the hole larger isn't the best solution. I'm afraid the cut edge will then be exposed vs the edge being nicely concealed inside the vent opening. It's also going to be a bit tricky to trim a nice round hole.

After some research I've found there are at least two sources - in the USA anyway.

Centerline has the Dashtop by Palco Industries brand - link HERE.

I believe Vicks may carry the same dash as CL but IAP carris the Dash-Caps by Accu-Form brand - link HERE.

Curious if anybody else had the same issue with the "Dashtop" brand dash cap or can chime in on how well the "Dash-Caps" brand fits. Don't want to waste the time and return shipping if the Dash-Caps brand has the same issue or is worse overall then what I already have.

Thanks -

·
Registered
959 Posts
I had a dash cover I bought many years ago and finally installed. My dash was cracked through both defrost vents. those cracks were raised to the point where the cover would not sit flush down on the oem and, as much as I could tell, the dash was destorted to the point that the cap was not going to fit without considerable triming. So, I started carving and rasping away on both until I got the cover to fit. Once I glued it down I arranged a series of 2x4s and 2x2s and other pieces of wood evenly on top of a towel to apply pressure then weighted down with bricks until the silicon glue set(48hours). I know this will make the purest shiver in their boots but, my restoration is not a concourse endeavor. It looks fine for me but I won't win any awards. Oh, by the way, you might want to loosen up the instrument cluster and pull it away from the dash a bit while fitting the cover. When you reinstall the cluster be careful not to over tighten the screws or you will break the mounting points on the cluster. I removed the cluster completely and reinforced the mounting point from the inside with a mixable epoxy resin. let the resinstart to harden then start triming it while it is semi hard. Just easier to work with. Fine tune it when it has set up.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...I've got the cluster out. Was planning on using scuba weights - which are essentially bean bags filled with stainless steel shot. Do you have any pictures of the fitment around the circular vents? I'm trying to figure out if there is a better fitting cover then the one I have. Where did you get yours?

·
Premium Member
14,035 Posts
I have dash caps from IAP on both my Spider and my GTV6. They took about a day each to install with lots of trimming to get them to fit. I had to open up the top vent holes on the Spider cap but they look OK.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I can't imagine given the small market we are talking about here that there is probably only one or maybe two manufacturer/suppliers of these dash covers. With that said, they probably all fit the same or at the least, all the same dimensions cuz they came from a mold based on original factory specs. The problem is, and it is what it is, every dash out there given its age has probably warped, cracked and distorted to some extent to where the cap/cover you get is not going to fit worth a hoot and you are going to have to trim/adjust both cap and dash to get a good fit. Just take your time, be patient and go slow and don't expect perfection.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the tips but what I'm really looking for is the fit/quality around the two round center vents of installed dash caps AND where people got the cap. I know there are multiple manufactures and if one fits better I'd rather start with that one. Pictures greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
959 Posts
doubt it

I appreciate the tips but what I'm really looking for is the fit/quality around the two round center vents of installed dash caps AND where people got the cap. I know there are multiple manufactures and if one fits better I'd rather start with that one. Pictures greatly appreciated. Thanks.
My point was that, given the extremely small market for these dash covers, there are probably NOT more than a couple manufacturers at most that supply IAP, Centerline and whomever else is marketing the product. Why would any company tool up for a product that they are only going to sell a few of per year. Doesn't make sense. Just buy one from IAP or Centerline or wherever you want and take the time to make it fit. I cannot tell you if any one company's cover will fit any better than another's. Maybe someone else can?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My point was that, given the extremely small market for these dash covers, there are probably NOT more than a couple manufacturers at most that supply IAP, Centerline and whomever else is marketing the product. Why would any company tool up for a product that they are only going to sell a few of per year. Doesn't make sense. Just buy one from IAP or Centerline or wherever you want and take the time to make it fit. I cannot tell you if any one company's cover will fit any better than another's. Maybe someone else can?
Please re-read my first post. I already have one. The fit isn't great. There are at least two manufactures of these - I've already determined this (whether it's logical for two companies to compete for the 72-74 GTV dash market is immaterial). If the other dash cover manufactured is better - I would rather start with that one. I realize you haven't bought and installed both but pictures of your dash and knowing which vendor you bought it from would help. If somebody else did the same and turns out they bought the other available dash cap - then we would have something to compare and this would be valuable information for others considering a dash cap.

Again, I appreciate the tips on how to install one and I have read every forum post I can find on this topic. The very specific issue I'm asking about is the round vent holes. The vents are plastic. They wouldn't have shrunk and should be the same for anyone with the 72-74 dash (while the degree of damage to the dash itself will vary widely by car, climate, etc.). The issue with the holes is explained in the initial post.

Thanks

·
Registered
426 Posts
neither manufacturer's caps fit perfectly. I've bought both. Last time in 2010. Maybe they have improved since then.

I talked to both manufacturers then sent to them dimensioned drawings showing them where they got it "wrong".

In the end it was "trim to fit".

Bob

·
Registered
959 Posts
In the end it was "trim to fit". Well, there you have it. FWIW: After 20 years I actually found the lable from mine. The manufacturer is Coverlay Manufacturing out of San Angelo TX 800-633-7090. So, perhaps, if you can find out who the other manufacturer is maybe theirs will fit better. But I doubt it. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts