Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,

Silly question, no chuckling... So, I’m accustomed to vintage Mustang work. This is a new adventure for me. In those old American cars, the solenoid sits up nice and pretty on the passenger side fender. My question is... where the h*ll is the starter solenoid on these babies? I need to find and mark the timing hashes, but I want to use my remote starter so that I don’t have to go back and forth to the ignition switch to bump the starter. And no, I don’t have a lackey to sit at the wheel and crank while I observe. Help!

Many thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And FYI, the timing in this car is WAY off — pings like a MF under heavy acceleration...

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
solenoid is on top of the starter motor under all the intake stuff

R side engine.jpg
you can also remove all the spark plugs, put the car in 5th gear and push the car till you get the timing marks aligned...it pushes easily with all plugs out.

Reactions: giulia_veloce

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
solenoid is on top of the starter motor under all the intake stuff

View attachment 1631201
you can also remove all the spark plugs, put the car in 5th gear and push the car till you get the timing marks aligned...it pushes easily with all plugs out.
Ugh -- that’s what I was afraid to hear. Under all the SPICA stuff. Not a good place to fit a pair of ham hocks. But thanks for the tip! I’ve had the plugs out twice today, but one thing about these cars that AIN’T difficult is removing/installing plugs.

You might be asking yourself “why would a sound-minded gear head who was weaned on 365 horses and 428 cubic inches wade into the perilous waters of Italian automotive design?” How about a new challenge... and a good acquisition price... like, 3-digits good? And, of course, access to the collective knowledge of thousands of devotees...😊

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
No, not under any SPICA stuff. If you remove the airbox (super easy) you can easily see it and reach the wire that energizes the solenoid. If I were you, I'd loosen the distributor hold down nut, put the timing light on, start the car, and set the timing. Set it just shy of M (max advance) at 3700 RPM or so, and then back it off if you hear pinging.

Is it a 1750 motor (original to 71 spider) or a 2L? Note the above process is the same regardless

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Do a search for my “dream s2 spider “ thread if you want to see what you “might” be in for!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, not under any SPICA stuff. If you remove the airbox (super easy) you can easily see it and reach the wire that energizes the solenoid. If I were you, I'd loosen the distributor hold down nut, put the timing light on, start the car, and set the timing. Set it just shy of M (max advance) at 3700 RPM or so, and then back it off if you hear pinging.

Is it a 1750 motor (original to 71 spider) or a 2L? Note the above process is the same regardless
It’s a 1750. Rock solid — the previous owner had the engine rebuilt 8 years ago and then barely drove it. Compression is super (pics below).

Unrelated but... I’ve been experiencing the Alfa syndrome of grinding into 1st, 2nd, and reverse. I took it to my favorite transmission shop this morning for a check up and was anticipating hearing “synchros“. We took it out for a short ride, and of course it didn’t do any grinding at all. His diagnosis is worn clutch. I left it with him this morning and should get it back early next week. Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
yep reverse grinding is normally worn clutch disk OR simple bleeding. Have it bled, measure the clutch release arm travel (look for .450 inches roughly) before you dig in on clutch

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

It’s a 1750. Rock solid — the previous owner had the engine rebuilt 8 years ago and then barely drove it.
yep reverse grinding is normally worn clutch disk OR simple bleeding. Have it bled, measure the clutch release arm travel (look for .450 inches roughly) before you dig in on clutch
Also totally unrelated... my most recent restorations (69 Mach 1 Cobra Jet and 65 GT Convertible), and the current project that I’m REALLY excited about — 68 Shelby GT500. About 1150 cubic inches, and a thousand horses in all. In the meantime, I do need something to drive. 😁

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Awesome Mustangs!!!!! I was brought home from the hospital in a 65 coupe. Your talents are good! Good luck with the spider.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome Mustangs!!!!! I was brought home from the hospital in a 65 coupe. Your talents are good! Good luck with the spider.
Thanks for the kind words! Hopefully I can get the hang of Italian engineering now. 😁

BTW, the Holy Grail of Mustang-dom, the Boss 429, is up for auction on BringATrailer.com. Six figures, easily...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts