Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to do some refinishing for the beautiful wooden steering wheel on my '71 GTV1750. Any tips towards a long lasting finish would be much appreciated. (I looked for threads on this but couldn't find any.)

Two elements:
1. The lacquer (whatever the finishing material is) has been worn off in places and the exposed wood subsequently darkened by sun damage. My plan is to lightly sand those areas down to healthier wood and then re-lacquer/re-varnish the wood. What types of lacquer/varnish/stain work best for this? Number of coats?

2. There is also a bit of ungluing of the outter wood layer in one place. My thought was to use standard white wood glue (dries clear) in the small gap and then clamp for 48hrs to allow the outter layer to rebond with the bulk of the wheel. Sand any excess glue. Then re-lacquer/re-varnish to finish it.

Thoughts? Tips? Thanks!

Blair

·
Registered
528 Posts
I would sand the existing laquer down completely to bare wood and sand away the dirty bits to get a clean, raw basis to start over.

Get a good 2K laquer. Some prefer the look of boat varnish, but I personally think it is too yellow but this type of varnish works well.

To make it last and look good too you need to apply many coats and sand inbetween with finer and finer grain sandpaper - from, say, 120 to 180, 240, 300, 600, 800 and 1200 for example. The more coats and the finer the grain of the sandpaper, the better. Take your time and it will come out beautifully with a deep lustre and shine. Be sure to use a good quality paintbrush with natural hair.

To repair the delaminated parts your approach should work. Make sure you clamp it tight to leave no gaps at all and the glue will be stronger than the wood.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks. Very useful information. Is 2K a grade of laquer? Is the

The steering wheel cap (wood with plastic Alfa Romeo logo in the center) is also looking a little dull. Have you tried refinishing that? It appears to be a different wood type than the wheel and it seems to have more of a stain finish than laquer.

Thanks again.

Blair

·
Registered
43 Posts
Take a look at the latest post from ThreeAlfas at the GTV 1750 Restoration thread. He had what sounds like a quite successful result...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Many thanks. Very useful information. Is 2K a grade of laquer?
2 component varnish. It uses a hardener to create a very hard and durable finish and since you'll be sitting there with your sweaty hands on the wood for a long time along with attacks from UV light this is what you'll want. Just remember that this varnish is quite heavy on the fumes so use protection.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Kroehl,
Sorry for the silly question, but is epoxy 2 pot UV sensitive?
I recently restored 2 wheels, and 'an expert' saw them, said they looked great, but I should put some dirty old polyurethane over the top to protect the wheels from UV.
Thanks
Ian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts